Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my name on my SSID and Wifi Router in Windows 10 can I Change the WiFi name or Ethernet name. to a different name then my SSID and Wifi Router ? doing here is a screenshot

How to Change Network Name in Windows 10 via the Local Security Policy Editor
  1. Open the Local Security Policy app. Press Start and type “Local Security Policy”. ...
  2. Open the “Network List Manager Policies” folder and double-click your network name.
  3. Change the WiFi name or Ethernet name.

Attachments

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,850 Posts
How did you change your SSID (Router) Name? Who is your ISP? What is the Make and Model # of your Router or Router/Modem combo unit?
Your WiFi name is your SSID.
You need to login to your Routers Setup to change the SSID by typing it's IP address in to a browsers address bar. There should be a WiFi tab that lists the SSID and Password. Usually, the SSID, IP address and Router password are on the side of the router. If not, you can Google your Routers default login information, or contact your ISP.

·
Global Moderator
43,850 Posts
You need to login to your Routers Setup to change the SSID by typing it's IP address in to a browsers address bar. There should be a WiFi tab that lists the SSID and Password. Usually, the SSID, IP address and Router password are on the side of the router. If not, you can Google your Routers default login information, or contact your ISP.
This way

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spunk-funk I have windows 10 home it shows my old name on WIFI and ethernet in Windows 10 how do I change it to another name here is a screenshot of wifi want to change name in show avaliable networks ?

Attachments

·
Global Moderator
43,850 Posts
Your picture shows the Default radio button switch to turn Wi-Fi On or Off, it's currently turned Off. you cannot change the name of this setting.
If you click the Show Available Networks link, it will show all of the SSID's (Router Names) of the Wi-Fi Networks in your neighborhood, including yours.
To Chane the SSID of your Network, you need to login to your router, with the instructions I have posted Twice already.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,341 Posts

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
32,169 Posts
WARNING: Sportman: This is the last time I'm going to give you a break. Either log into your router or stop taking up staff time.

·
Global Moderator
43,850 Posts
You are not following instructions. You cannot change your SSID in Windows. You can only change it by logging into your Router. How to Change a Router's Wi-Fi Name (SSID) If you don't follow the instructions we will close this thread.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,341 Posts
WARNING: Sportman:This is the last time I'm going to give you a break. Either log into your router or stop taking up staff time.
If you run in light mode in stead of dark mode and wonder what the above WARNING: is about, here's what it says:

WARNING: Sportman: This is the last time I'm going to give you a break. Either log into your router or stop taking up staff time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
spunk-funk I have windows 10 home it shows my old name on WIFI and ethernet in Windows 10 how do I change it to another name here is a screenshot of wifi want to change name in show avaliable networks ?
The staff (I'm not staff) are getting rightly frustrated as you keep saying the pic you attached is showing your name and available networks.
It simply is not showing any of that information. You appear to have attached the wrong screenshot.
Have a good look at what you posted and repost the correct pic if possible.
And the guys here really do know what they are doing and really do want to help so I suggest you reread the thread and take on board the instructions they have already given you. The solution starts with trying the recommendation. If that doesn't work then they will ask for more info. Very rarely do they not get a solution so hang in there.
Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts