Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I've been having problems with my router so I'll try to give you all the details so you can help me fix my problems.

My ISP is SBC DSL and they provided me with a SpeedStream 5100 modem when I subscribed to their service. The modem works really well and I've never been disconnected while I used it. Recently, I bought a D-Link DI-604 router (not wireless). I installed the router properly (read the manual 5 times) and at first I thought the results were great. But after about 3 hours of using my router and modem at the same time, my connection is lost and I can no longer access the Internet.

To fix Internet connection, I have to unplug the modem and router and restart them. Then, my connection is back. But after another 3 hours, the connection is lost again. This has been happening for about 2 weeks now, and I still have trouble with the router.

So to summarize:

1). Modem works fine by itself.
2). Router and modem at same time results in loss of connection in approximately 3 hours.
3). Resetting router and modem fixes the connection, but 3 hours later, it is lost again.

So can someone please help me out here? Thanks to everyone in advance. I greatly appreciate any help.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Since it's not wireless, have you tried resetting it to factory defaults? How about checking for a newer version of Firmware on the D-Link site?

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
It does not matter which folder you put the firmware update in. When you use your browser to go into the router setup page, choose the update option. It will ask you which folder you put the software in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much johnwill and Terrister. I downloaded the updated firmware and applied it to my computer.

Now, just the wait to see if it will disconnect me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My results did not change. After I updated my firmware, the router still disconnects me after a couple of hours. However, now I noticed a tread in these disconnects. The disconnection only when I am not using the computer. For example, I search the web and then go lunch. When I come back from lunch, I lose my connection.

This is an usual case, but I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Don't know if this will help but here is what I get when I do IPCONFIG /ALL >C:RESULT.TXT

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : zhang
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain_not_set.invalid

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain_not_set.invalid
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-A1-0A-10-E9
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 69.177.223.14
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 69.177.223.15
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 28, 2005 10:03:19 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 28, 2005 10:13:19 PM

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Something very odd is going on there, the default gateway is getting hosed, as well as the IP address! The default gateway for that router should be 192.168.0.1, and your IP address should be in the range 192.168.0.x.

Did you give this information to Linksys tech support? This sounds like something very odd going on.

I presume you have done malware/spyware scans, right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
JamesHall said:
Scanned everything, no difference.
The tech support helpline should be in your manual for this product.
Call them I have found them really helpful for the same product as you've got.
Your problems could be solved within the next 10 minutes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
JamesHall said:
My results did not change. After I updated my firmware, the router still disconnects me after a couple of hours. However, now I noticed a tread in these disconnects. The disconnection only when I am not using the computer. For example, I search the web and then go lunch. When I come back from lunch, I lose my connection.

This is an usual case, but I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Don't know if this will help but here is what I get when I do IPCONFIG /ALL >C:RESULT.TXT

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : zhang
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain_not_set.invalid

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain_not_set.invalid
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-A1-0A-10-E9
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 69.177.223.14
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 69.177.223.15
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 28, 2005 10:03:19 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 28, 2005 10:13:19 PM
Do u have any DMZ forward or did u set the seconds for the connection time reset? Coz i had this problem b4 and when i first forward the DMZ for hosting online games i got D/C after few mins dont know about urs so desable DMZ and set the connection time.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
A stupid question, but you are plugging the modem into the WAN (Internet) port, and the computers into the LAN port(s), right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found this awhile back at DSL Reports when trying to solve this same issue with my Dad's setup.

1. Connect your computer directly to the modem (bypass the router), you may have to reboot.

2. In your web browser browse to »192.168.0.1 This address will be located on a yellow sticker on the bottom of your modem.

3. The first screen will ask you for your Modem Access Code. This also will be located on the same yellow sticker.

4. Make sure the modem is setup to perform the PPPoE login.

5. At the login screen type in your SBC member ID and password.

6. Click Connect.

7. If everything is succesfull you will get a screen that says, "You Are Connected." and your Internet light will go solid green. If you username or password is invalid you will get a screen stating such. If there are other problems you will get a screen stating, "The DSL connection is down."

8. Plug the router in between the modem and your computer.

9. If your router has an IP address of 192.168.0.1 (the D-Link does) then you should change it to something else like 192.168.2.1. 192.168.1.1 will work, but if it assigns 192.168.1.64 to a device, it won't route correctly, since the 5100b will assign the router 192.168.1.64 on its WAN side.

10. Setup your router for DHCP on the WAN side, or set it statically to 192.168.1.64 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0

11. You should now be online, given the possible need to restart your devices.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.