1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys/girls, no running away now :tongue:

[Don't look in my system info, this is a different computer]

Background:
I have an 80GB HDD with WinXP installed but will not bootup at all after 3 Repair reinstalls and everything else in the book BUT a clean install.

a) I was thinking to copy over my Windows dir from here (fully working XP)... would that work in making it load up correctly?

If not, then onto more questions:
b) I have XXClone to create a fully working copy of this HDD here onto that. Because this is 40GB and that is 80GB, I'd like to make that my main HDD and this my Slave HDD. Firstly I need reassurance that the 'cloned' full hard drive will be in exactly the same way as this is now!??
Next, can I swap over the data from here, format this HDD to keep as an extension HDD and make that the bootable Master drive with all this info on, even the drivers?

Next. Before all this, I'm wanting to create partitions on there of a partition, to make it in total 1 x 40GB (already done), 2 x 15GB, 1x 10 GB (or whatever remains).

How do I do this?

I did the common method of going into compmgmt.msc under Disk Managment, it was there listed as "Healthy" under both current 40GB partitions, right-clicking so that the the option of "Create New partition" appears. It didn't:

So how do I create partitions of a partitioned drive?

Lastly, by assigning a letter to a drive, does the total directory change itself or only the letter of the drive? .. Because if I changed the letter of thsi dirve, Firefox/Thunderbird etc, would have to also be configured to be informed where to look for the program dir. Thats not an option for me I'm afraid, too much editing of plus 300 programs.

These are the initial questions I hope you can answer :grin:
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
You can only create new partitions on unpartitioned space. (Unpartitioned space will show as "unallocated" in disk management.) Since your drive does not have any, you will need to delete the 2nd 40 GB partition.
Another way you may try is with Partition Magic.

Lastly, by assigning a letter to a drive, does the total directory change itself or only the letter of the drive?
I believe just the letter of the drive.

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,398 Posts
Hi Kalim,
Ok guys/girls, no running away now :tongue:

[Don't look in my system info, this is a different computer]

Background:
I have an 80GB HDD with WinXP installed but will not bootup at all after 3 Repair reinstalls and everything else in the book BUT a clean install.

a) I was thinking to copy over my Windows dir from here (fully working XP)... would that work in making it load up correctly?
No, it won't. System files won't be copied.

If not, then onto more questions:
b) I have XXClone to create a fully working copy of this HDD here onto that. Because this is 40GB and that is 80GB, I'd like to make that my main HDD and this my Slave HDD. Firstly I need reassurance that the 'cloned' full hard drive will be in exactly the same way as this is now!??
Yes it will. See http://www.techsupportforum.com/f214/what-to-do-with-small-i-e-40-gb-c-drives-127590.html

Next, can I swap over the data from here, format this HDD to keep as an extension HDD and make that the bootable Master drive with all this info on, even the drivers?
Yes.

Next. Before all this, I'm wanting to create partitions on there of a partition, to make it in total 1 x 40GB (already done), 2 x 15GB, 1x 10 GB (or whatever remains).How do I do this?

No. You can't create partitions within partitions. Why would you want to do that? Why not just create them as separate logical partions? To do that select the second 40GB partition. Right click then delete partition. You can then create new partitions in the unallocated space.

I did the common method of going into compmgmt.msc under Disk Managment, it was there listed as "Healthy" under both current 40GB partitions, right-clicking so that the the option of "Create New partition" appears. It didn't:
It wouldn't. See comment above.

So how do I create partitions of a partitioned drive?
You can't, but see above. You can create additional partitions using something like Partition Magic.

Lastly, by assigning a letter to a drive, does the total directory change itself or only the letter of the drive? .. Because if I changed the letter of thsi dirve, Firefox/Thunderbird etc, would have to also be configured to be informed where to look for the program dir. Thats not an option for me I'm afraid, too much editing of plus 300 programs.
When you clone the drive and reset it to become the master bootable drive it should be C:\ and you shouldn't need to change anything.

These are the initial questions I hope you can answer :grin:
Thanks.

I hope I've covered everything.

Regards,
Pilot.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes many thanks all of you :grin:

Why I wanted to create partitions of an existing partition was due to having some files on there which will have to be put back on there anyway, after the partitioning. That about answers all of my questions. I realize I can't change the boot drive from 'D:\' to 'C:\', which is what I thought maybe a slim possibility.

Thanks you very much

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW my boot drive is D because I accidentally had it set to Slave when installing XP, and on the subsequent completion, it was registered as 'D:\' forever

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,398 Posts
Hold on!

What will be the difference of copying a full drive over to another manually to using XXClone instead?

Thanks.

You can't copy things like the Master Boot Record and other system files. XXClone will copy as fast as you can manually, plus it will make the drive bootable, which it won't be if you just copy.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was the essence of my question, really. Well I've formatted the 80GB now, deleted the partitions, will now create 4 partitions and then clone another drive onto it.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
you do know don't you that you can make your D: drive the C: drive by renaming the C to F for example then making D to C followed by making the F to D thereby switching things around ... I belive it should work on the boot drive as well as any other drive since XP doesn't search to boot from the C: drive but from a particular partition in a specific multiboot configuration

if that helps ..

btw Kalim I note that you travel frequently .. are you a travelling saleman working in Computing ??:grin:

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,398 Posts
you do know don't you that you can make your D: drive the C: drive by renaming the C to F for example then making D to C followed by making the F to D thereby switching things around ... I belive it should work on the boot drive as well as any other drive since XP doesn't search to boot from the C: drive but from a particular partition in a specific multiboot configuration

Kalim knows he can rename his drive. The problem is that many of his programs reference directories on his D:\ drive. These won't change simply by changing the name of the drive and will have to be changed by hand.

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,398 Posts

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

if that helps ..
Hmm. Linderman is still dealing with me on this issue but before this I was told its not possible to change the drive "D:\" into a drive "C:\". I mean I know I can change the letter assigned, but what about all the programs installed, folders, files reg entries.... they'd still read "D:\" right?

For instance Firefox folder.. the profile.ini in D:\Documents and Settings\H1\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox (for me) or the compatibility.ini or the pref.js in the profile- this would still read drive "D:\" I'm thinking, not "C:\" even if I changed it around through letter assigning. Right?

btw Kalim I note that you travel frequently .. are you a travelling saleman working in Computing ??:grin:
Haha. I work in a few fields professionally. But I've quit my original qualified profession 4 years ago. Well not quite, I work in the medical field, around the world, wherever its needed, usually war struck area's where others are scared to go :tongue: And everything else you can think of to do with charity, the weak, meek and poor voluntarily. Business and politics takes over the rest of the fields I'm involved in. Computing...was an early interest of mine. I was a programmer before '86 in the earlier days, from 83 to mid 85. After that, roughly when JavaScript was invented, I never touched a PC till '95 about a few times, a few other times on and off and then in 2002. By then I remembered naught due to differing interests and lack of time. Its only this year, March, I took a break from the profession after breaking a leg and built three computers after what, 20 years. :laugh:

If I'm in the UK or Italy, then the servers at the surgery labs are IBMs with 16GB RAM etc pretty powerful. There's a host of other computers and state-of-the-art utilites there too, and if no ones around I usually have to end up taking a look at them :sigh:

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually you cannot change the drive letter of the system partition.

Quote from the Microsoft website,

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../proddocs/en-us/dm_drive_letter.mspx?mfr=true
I did know that the active system partition cannot be changed only the logical drives or extension drives can. Still I could change its letter assignment by slaving it to another bootable HDD, but it most likely won't boot up again.
Kalim knows he can rename his drive. The problem is that many of his programs reference directories on his D:\ drive. These won't change simply by changing the name of the drive and will have to be changed by hand.
Bang on.
Well, that answers that. At least you were already resigned to keeping it as D:\ :smile:
Yes, quite right, it does. Linderman stated that there is a utility that will allow this change, so I'm waiting to see how that goes. Previously I've met failure though because I would have to manually edit too many program files.
I've done this before where I hacked many Thunderbird files and extension files especially. I then copied them over to a new computer but they didn't work until I changed the drive letters back tow hat they were originally. I'm not planning to go through that whole saga again, no way :rolleyes:

Thanks to all. Wonderful help you people are BTW :pray:

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Strange that it works that way .. but I take your word for it and stand amended ..
I have 3 OS's on two HDD's and when I realised that I had got my IDE's swapped, I did a simple switch , which I thought should have thrown me to the wolves but everything kept on working .. admittedly the main partition on 2 of the disks is WinME with a secondary partition containing WinXP. However it shouldn't have worked but it did and without changing drive names. I must see if the same happens when I install the XP Greek Partition then swap drive letters from within the other XP boot, then try to reboot!
Kalim it seems you're contagious .. must be the environment you work in .. surgeons and bugs ..

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
You're right John, I didn't read past the 4th-5th post ion the thread thinking its only further comments. MY bad.

It'd be very helpful for anyone if a moderator/admin could edit the first post to copy/paste the last OR state there clearly to "read the last post for the latest setup procedure". Something like that.

Thanks John.

PS: quick question... the drive that is cloned originally will still be fully working right?

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,398 Posts
You're right John, I didn't read past the 4th-5th post ion the thread thinking its only further comments. MY bad.

It'd be very helpful for anyone if a moderator/admin could edit the first post to copy/paste the last OR state there clearly to "read the last post for the latest setup procedure". Something like that.
I've been trying to do that.

PS: quick question... the drive that is cloned originally will still be fully working right?
Oh yes. In fact I use it as a means of backing up. Ideally, you should have three drives. (They are so cheap these days and cost far less than the value of data, time and inconvenience.) That way you can alternately backup to the two slave drives so that if anything happens whilst in the middle of a backup - and Sod's Law says it will some day - you still have the third version to fall back on.

John.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.