Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had a long ongoing problem since the beginning of Jan w/ my computer and i am stumped. Hopefully someone on here can shed some light on this situation. here it goes:

I have a 1.33 Ghz AMD chip that is mated to an Asus motherboard and for the first year it ran without any problems. then one day my computer refused to start up so i went into the BIOS, and found that the 1333 Mhz setting was no longer available, only 800 and 1000 Mhz. It will not allow me to set the motherboard multiplier no matter what i do so i cannot get back to my 1333Mhz setting. Please help. sorry if i dont have all the exact details as im writing this from work, but when i get home i will reply and post exactly the specs on my system. THanks.

justin

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums 7Enigma

There will be someone to help when you get here....:D

S

·
0 Posts
Could you please post the manufacturer of the motherboard?

If you don't know it do this.

On the first screen you will see upon bootup there will be a string of numbers on the bottom left of the page.

Something like

2A59L-XXXX-XXX
Or
51-1506-XXXX-XXXX
Or
12/09/1999 i440LX

Write down these numbers exactly as you see them and post them here.

Then we can find out who made it....:D

Sometime when you do a shutdown the improper way these boards will set the wrong cpu speed afterwards.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its an ASUS A7A266 i believe. again im at work and cannot get all the info but i wrote that number down last night.

S

·
0 Posts
This is something to check.

Go to the Bios Advanced section.

Set the CPU Internal Frequency to manual.

Set the CPU Frequency Multiple to 10

Set the System/Sdram/PCI Freq (MHz) to 133/133/33

If this doesn't work you may have to try the jumper mode...:D

Do you have the manual?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried to set it to manual mode, and the multiple is grayed out, and i do not have the manual as i bought it at a shady show about 2 years ago. No problems with it for like a year and then this crap started up.

I will have to find a jumper diagram or something, but i was hoping it was easier to fix.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:
Just wondering, have you tried clearing the CMOS data? Maybe a glitch in there.

sorry im not that computer literate. if you could please explain in detail, and if its safe to do for the relative computer idiot.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I don't think this is what Danrak is talking about, but most BIOSes have an option to reset the defaults of the motherboard... maybe that would give you back the option to change your multiplier back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ill try resetting the settings, but i think that i have treid that before with no luck.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Okay it sound to me like if that doesn't work your going to have to Flash the BIOS. While I don't know exactly how to do this... I can explain the background info of what would be happening if you want

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just wondering, have you tried clearing the CMOS data? Maybe a glitch in there.
If you can't find the jumper of don't feel comfortable messing with jumpers, there is a silver wafer style battery on the motherboard. Unplug the main power, take the battery out for 5 minutes or so, and put it back in. Mark the side that is showing before you take it out, it will fit both ways and it only works one way.

That will set the cmos, bios, whatever- to the original defaults.

And the clock, BTW. You will need to reset the clock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tried the battery thing, and it doesnt work still, as the multiplier is still greyed out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im not too sure what the VID JEN and DSW is? I have a lot of jumpers on my motherboard, and i dont think that the motherboard is labeled with these acronyms. sorry.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.