Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what seems to be the problem but I used to run games well with no processor taxing. Now that I just upgraded to a full 8 gigs of ram for my windows vista x64 OS my quadcore processor is being taxed - all four cores! While I'm idle! Don't know what happened there. Any solutions?
New to building computers.. anything would help. :4-dontkno

Specs:
My MoBo is a DP35DP from intel.
8 gigs of ddr2 6400 ram.
Q6600 2.4ghz processor.
EVGA Geforce 8800 Ultra Superclocked graphics card.
Air cooled with 4 fans (1 out 3 in).

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
check out the task manager and under the processes tab will tell you which process is giving your CPU curry, if it is one particular process , google it and find out if it is essential and you may be able to disable it. It may also be a virus or spyware/malware.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"System idle Process" is really high. That's it though. It wasn't doing that before I added the extra ram though. My cores would idle at 5-10 percent idle. Now it's 15-40% each core (4 cores total) idle!!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
If nothing is running the "System Idle" should be high. For example my system idle will sit on 99 when the task manager is open as taskmgr.exe uses 1.
If nothing is being used in the task manager it may be possible that there is a virus/malware /spyware running in the background.

Have a read of this and see if it helps any

http://www.techsupportforum.com/security-center/hijackthis-log-help/15968-updated-important-read-before-posting-log.html

I suppose the first thing to try tho may be to take out the other 4G and see if things go back to normal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.