Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my PC switches off during game play! - i used to play most of the games on my pc like rainbo six vegas or sniper elite or many more recently my pc siwtches off when i play especially with (call of duty 4) i need help . thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
It would be helpful if you post more information. I am especially interested in whether you have a laptop or a desktop PC. I've known several laptops to be prone to a design flaw that causes them to spontaneously shut off once they start getting older. If it's a desktop, there's a whole different set of things that could be wrong.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
It could be overheating due to faulty fans or dust, or it could be a weak power supply unit (PSU). Post back with your system specs including the PSU (make/model, total watts, amps for +12V - these details are listed on the PSU label).

How long after starting a game does it take to crash?

Is there a blue screen before the computer switches off? Does it switch off completely (no fans spinning, no hard drive noise) or does it restart?

Have you made any hardware upgrades recently?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have got a desktop pc and i do not think is overheating because it has extra fans and is not switches off with other games.power supply is (model atx 550w,+12v 28a max ...) and it takes about 10 minute after starting a game then it shuts down completely and there is no blue screen before the computer switches off.no fans spinning, no hard drive noise and not restarting automaticly.my computer system is windows xp amd athlon64x2dual core processor 3800+, 2.01 ghz 2.00gb of ram. thanks

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Sounds like a weak PSU and/or overheating. Check your temperatures and voltages with PC Wizard at startup with no other programs running. Take with a screenshot from the 'Voltage, Temperature & Fans' window. Leave it open on the desktop and take another screenshot of PC Wizard during gameplay when it starts to lag by pressing alt-tab to switch back to the desktop. Post back with both screenshots so we can see how your system copes under stress.

Are the CPU fan, graphics card fan and case fans spinning and free of dust?

What graphics card do you have?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.