Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m an IT intern at a small organization. We’ve upgrading the operating systems on several of the PCs.

I’m trying to do a clean install of Windows 7 from a thumb drive’s setup file on one particular PC. ( The PC only has a CD-ROM drive so I can’t use the installation DVD. ) The other specs are: HP Compaq dc5100 with a Pentium 4 3.GPHz and 2.49 detected RAM.

So, from within Windows XP, I launch the setup file and click “Install now”. I click “Go online to get the latest updates…” followed by accepting the user agreement. I then click “Custom (Advanced)” install for a clean install.

This is the point where I have the problem. At the bottom of the new screen, it reads “No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation.” This is the part I cannot get past.

I did a little bit of investigating and learned the BIOS does recognize the hard drive. It’s a SATA 0 80.0 GB WDC WD800JD-60LSA0. I believe that means the BIOS can detect it. The CD-ROM Drive reads IDE Primary 0 HL-DT-ST GCE-8487B.

I tried installing the SIIG Serial ATA Controller Card Driver into the “CD-ROM Drive”, but Windows wouldn’t allow me.

Strangely, Windows doesn’t seem to recognize the device despite being able to load and run Windows XP. I have a C drive (where my hard drive is supposed to be), but I think the computer detects it as a CD drive. When I right click on the drive and select properties, it only lists my thumb drive and “HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8487B.”The device status on the bottom says says “This device is working properly”.

Under My Computer, I see three drives. A C drive with the hard drive icon, a CD-RW Drive (D), and my Kingston thumb drive (E). All devices can be clicked and accessed.

If I go into “Computer Management” and click on “Disk Management”, I only see two devices listed in the bottom pane: My 8GB thumb drive and a CD-ROM drive.
What can I do to get my PC to properly recognize the hard drive? My ultimate goal is to do a clean install of Windows 7.

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,436 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSF did you run the upgrade advisor prior to going ahead with this
Download: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
have you checked in the bios to see if the hdd is recognised
have you made any changes in the bios to allow it to boot a sata hdd
Install Hard Drive - A guide to installing a SATA hard drive
have you checked the hp support site for info HP Compaq dc5100 Microtower PC -  Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joeten,

Thanks for your welcome and good suggestions. I tried what you suggested:

I downloaded and installed newest chipset driver from HP’s website. I restarted the PC.

I downloaded and installed newest Western Digital Hard Drive Calibration Table Update. At least, I think it installed. I downloaded it, went through installation prompts, and it unzipped files in a new directory on my C drive.

I downloaded “firmware” on this page for my HLDS cd-rom drive. Although, I supposed I downloaded the “Firmware Downloader”. It launched and put green checkmarks in a dialog box by “Model Name”, “FW Protocol”, “Check Sum” and “Drive Model Name”. However, the next time, “Drive Protocol”, came up with a Red X so I could not continue installing.

I’m pretty sure my BIOS recognizes the HDD. In the BIOS, under the storage menu, it identities “SATA 0 80.0 GB, WDC WD800JD-60LSA0”.

I changed the BIOS to boot from the HDD first (the CD-Rom drive had been it’s first option), and it continues to load Windows XP as normal. Otherwise, the BIOS should be set to its default options.

After all this, I ran a new Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser. I uploaded a word document with it's results.

I again tried to install Windows 7 off my thumb drive, but had simliar results.

Any feedback or further suggestions are appreciated. However, I won't be able to try them or reply for a couple days.

Attachments

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
5,143 Posts
Check to make sure that the SATA configuration is NOT set to RAID, but ATA mode. I've had systems where the system recognizes the controller but not the drive due to the SATA mode being set to RAID and no array configured. Perhaps try resetting the BIOS to see if that helps. One other small point, the drive is an 80GB drive which is likely pretty old and slow compared to the drives currently produced. Not that it would affect the ability to install windows to it, but just stating the obvious.

·
68,436 Posts
Hi your system meets the very bottom cusp which should mean it will install but I think it would be a problem later it may not be the to start with but a real slow down will come around fairly quickly,I will post the info for further opinion
Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Report
Computer Name:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory: 2.5 GB
Information about upgrading to 32-bit Windows 7
System Details

Custom installation required You'll need to perform a custom installation of 32-bit Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin.
Go online to get important information about installing Windows 7 on a PC running Windows XP

Windows Aero support Your current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface. If you want to experience the benefits of Windows Aero, contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is available.
Go online to learn more about Windows Aero

Outlook Express This program is no longer included in Windows 7. You can get similar programs for Windows 7 from other software manufacturers.
Go to the Microsoft website to learn more

More info from Hewlett-Packard Hewlett-Packard has a website that might give you more information about getting Windows 7 running on your PC.
Visit the Hewlett-Packard website

CPU speed: 3.0 GHz Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.

2.5 GB of RAM Your PC meets the 1 GB minimum requirement.

57.4 GB free space available on C: Your hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 16 GB free space for 32-bit Windows 7.

Devices Status Details

Compaq IJ300 Inkjet Printer
Compaq Unknown We don't have compatibility information about this device.

HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6
HP Unknown We don't have compatibility information about this device.

Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
Intel Corporation Unknown We don't have compatibility information about this device.

Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.

HP Officejet 6000 E609a Series
HP Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.

SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Analog Devices, Inc. Check Windows Update Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work.

USB Mass Storage Device
Compatible USB storage device Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.

Programs Status Details

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Not compatible This version of the program will not work on Windows 7.

Broadcom Management Programs
version 7.74.02
Broadcom Known issues You may experience issues running this program on Windows 7.
Visit the publisher's website for a possible solution

GoogleToolbarNotifier
version 2.0.301.1654
Google Inc. Update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.

GroupWise
version 7.0.2
Novell Update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
Get an update to a compatible version

Windows Internet Explorer 7
version 20070813.185237
Microsoft Corporation Paid update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
Get a paid update to a compatible version

Microsoft Silverlight
version 4.0.60531.0
Microsoft Corporation
This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
Learn more about the Compatible with Windows 7 logo

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
version 2.0.5000.0
Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
version 2.2.30729
Microsoft Corporation Free update available This program is compatible with Windows 7. A free update is also available.
Get the free update

Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
version 10.1.53.64
Adobe Systems Incorporated Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.

Adobe Reader 8.1.2
version 8.1.2
Adobe Systems Incorporated Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.

Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system
version 12.0.6425.1000
Microsoft Corporation Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.

McAfee Security Scan Plus
version 2.0
McAfee, Inc. Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise
version 8.7.00004

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
version 3.2.30729

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
version 3.5

Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
version 11.0.8173.0

Windows XP Mode is an optional feature available in Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate that has extra system requirements.
Visit the Windows XP Mode website for more information

Requirement Details

Virtualization technology not supported Your PC does not support hardware assisted virtualization technology.

2.5 GB of RAM Your PC memory meets the 2 GB requirement for running Windows XP Mode on 32-bit Windows 7.

Extra 15 GB of free space Your PC meets the minimum requirement of 15 GB extra space for installing and running Windows XP Mode.

Information about upgrading to 64-bit Windows 7
System Details

Custom installation required You'll need to perform a custom installation of 64-bit Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin.
Go online to get important information about installing Windows 7 on a PC running Windows XP

Windows Aero support Your current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface. If you want to experience the benefits of Windows Aero, contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is available.
Go online to learn more about Windows Aero

Outlook Express This program is no longer included in Windows 7. You can get similar programs for Windows 7 from other software manufacturers.
Go to the Microsoft website to learn more

More info from Hewlett-Packard Hewlett-Packard has a website that might give you more information about getting Windows 7 running on your PC.
Visit the Hewlett-Packard website

CPU speed: 3.0 GHz Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.

2.5 GB of RAM Your PC meets the 2 GB minimum requirement.

57.4 GB free space available on C: Your hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 20 GB free space for 64-bit Windows 7.

Devices Status Details

Compaq IJ300 Inkjet Printer
Compaq Unknown We don't have compatibility information about this device.

HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6
HP Unknown We don't have compatibility information about this device.

Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
Intel Corporation Unknown We don't have compatibility information about this device.

Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
Broadcom Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.

HP Officejet 6000 E609a Series
HP Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.

SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Analog Devices, Inc. Check Windows Update Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work.

USB Mass Storage Device
Compatible USB storage device Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.

Programs Status Details

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Not compatible This version of the program will not work on Windows 7.

Broadcom Management Programs
version 7.74.02
Broadcom Known issues You may experience issues running this program on Windows 7.
Visit the publisher's website for a possible solution

GroupWise
version 7.0.2
Novell Update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
Get an update to a compatible version

Windows Internet Explorer 7
version 20070813.185237
Microsoft Corporation Paid update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
Get a paid update to a compatible version

Microsoft Silverlight
version 4.0.60531.0
Microsoft Corporation

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
version 2.0.5000.0
Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
version 2.2.30729
Microsoft Corporation Free update available This program is compatible with Windows 7. A free update is also available.
Get the free update

Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
version 10.1.53.64

Adobe Reader 8.1.2
version 8.1.2

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise
version 8.7.00004

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
version 3.2.30729

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
version 3.5

Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
version 11.0.8173.0

Windows XP Mode is an optional feature available in Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate that has extra system requirements.
Visit the Windows XP Mode website for more information

Requirement Details

Virtualization technology not supported Your PC does not support hardware assisted virtualization technology.

2.5 GB of RAM Your PC memory doesn't meet the 3 GB requirement for running Windows XP Mode on 64-bit Windows 7. When running XP Mode, you might experience poor performance.

Extra 15 GB of free space Your PC meets the minimum requirement of 15 GB extra space for installing and running Windows XP Mode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
djaburg-
I double-checked the Hard drive settings in the BIOS. There are a lot of them! I didn't see anything to indicate any association with RAID.

joeten-
You're absolutely right about the computer being outdated for Windows 7. I hope it's not too slow. I think my boss is interested in making all the PCs on the network uniform in their OS and programs.

·
68,436 Posts
Hi how is the cabling set up just wondering if there may be a issue there

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joeten-
I opened up the computer. My CD Drive is attached via a IDE ribbon cable. The hard drive is connected via a SATA cable.

I changed two things while the PC hardware was opened up. I switched the HDD cable from one SATA connector to another. I also disconnected the IDE cable from the motherboard to see if that did anything.

No significant improvements have happened as I log into the system.

I apprecaite everyone's tips, but I think it be best to keep it as it is with XP installed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put the computer back into the pile of older computers, and unfortunately I don't quite remember the BIOS setting. I do remember keeping it on it's default settings.

Thanks for your tips, but I've decided to let this one go for now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.