Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use 3 computers in the course of a week (classroom, office and home), 2 cell phones and at least one pda. One of my biggest struggles is keeping things synced and backed up. I would like to be able to use the internet to sync all of my toys with a second computer at home using Linux, and then upload to my webspace as a daily backup.

What kind of software do I need to get my 3 computers to be able to backup/sync with my linux box at home? What are the key words I can use to search and learn more about this?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Additional: I will be keeping my Linux pc on 24/7 - I also have a UPS For it. I want to avoid using some kind of other server situation that is not under my complete control, like FolderShare. I am not criticizing their service, or any others like them, but would rather stay away from this kind of "information middleman". I could install Windows xp on this pc but I am hoping to be able to do this with Linux because it will be online 24/7 and I feel it will be a safer environment. It would be nice if I had drag and drop ability, could put an icon on the other 3 pc's so that it would appear to be a second hard drive.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been trying to open that site for days but it is blocked for me :( I have searched on the term backup software for Linux and what I found was software that would backup the contents of the linux hard drive. What I am looking for is software that can be installed on windows machines that can backup the windows hard drive onto a Linux machine. Ideally, am looking for a program that will let me put an icon on the windows machine to let the windows machine access the linux hard drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.