1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Back in the old days we had to deal with this "program has
performed illegal operations and will be shutdown",the
famous W98's message and most of the time frustrating.

I've been using W2K Pro for about a 1yr and a half, I have
to admit that I had some frustration with it but nothing
major, in fact I like and enjoy working with W2K Pro.
Since XP Pro came out Microsoft had promised some major
improvement to the OS while in fact it is more a pain in
the a#$ then all other ones, compatibility,
program;network connections;printers, disappearing for no
good reasons. I think that they improved the look and
rounded corners on coding.

Recently I've builded an AMD XP 1.5ghz that run WinXP Pro
I said to my client that XP was an improvement of W2K Pro
while in fact we have so much problems with it that they
want me to format it and replace it witn W2K Pro and I
don't blame them.

To all of you out there stick with W2K Pro that is my
advice.

It would interresting to hear your comments and opinion on
this subject.

W2K PRO vs WXP PRO

Mario

·
Registered
852 Posts
Win 2k pro is the most stable best multitasking OS that microshaft has ever produced. The "service packs" IMHO are not even needed for stable operation. People that have had problems with it usually have hardware or driver problems instead.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Win2000

I to believe the Win2000 is the most stable OS to come from Microsoft, however if you are a gamer then Win2000 is not a very good choice, while WinXp is new it is stable and does support gaming, and it is built on prev. versions. I have multiple workstations running Xp Pro.. now they do not all run flawless but about as stable as Win2000. Most problems occur in win XP when users ignore the "This driver wont work" messages and then when the system stops working the user gets all .... abusive.
:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have to disagree with you guys on this one. XP has all the stability of 2000 and wealth of added features. But the big picture is MS has taken 2k and sugar coated it to the point average brain dead AOL user can live with it. Has for incompatibilities, every issue I have seen is either the manufactures fault from not being on the ball with drivers (thank you Cannon) or its some old piece of junk component. I mean look at all the cool stuff that’s just built in: Zip, integrated CD burner, firewall, and windows messenger (best Video and Voice app ever). Has for the MS approved driver issue, this is spot on move for MS. You have to realize that there are over 1000 manufactures of PC components. This is the reason for all most all of the Hardware issues that crop in Windows. It’s awesome that MS is taking on the responsibility of keeping all of these components working together let alone with the OS

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I test junk, crap, free, and shareware it's on my 2000 box. It's just plain stable. I have been testing XP for well over a year (home, pro, and the betas) and I have had to run several recoverys. However I love XP, so far it's the best intergration of the 9x and NT platforms to bring us stablilty and a Dynamic OS. Either Macrosoft will do some serious service packing or the next multifunctional OS will be a total haus!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Don't you feel that some of those issues are due to the coding of the shovelware has opposed to issues with XP. I mean some of the major software companies are having difficulty with getting their stuff to work on XP (Norton Antivirus or Creative Lab). Progress is painful. Praise Bill!!!.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Yes, Poor Nortan

I swear I used to love that software, but if you put it onto XP Pro or Home it goes all to crap, both the software and the machine, and since I am a big XP Booster I have to say the problem lies with Nortan, McAfee does not seem to have this problem Im now using thier firewall & virus scanners only and it works great. I hope Nortan can get the he11 back into the game.. but Im not holding my breath and I would advise against anyone else doing that either. On a diff. note firewalls to date what do you guys think. Guardian from Network Solutions/McAfee is working really good so far for me, customizable and not to restrictive. I have tryed out ZoneAlarm but it has some problems and once you uninstall it you cant get rid of it, it remains there plugging up all your packets. What do you guys think?

S

·
0 Posts
I use NAV 2002 and ZoneAlarm Pro Ver. 3.0.118 and have no problem with either of them.

I have had problems with Roxio's EZCD Creator though. But Nero took care of that issue for me...:D

·
Registered
100 Posts
I also have worked with several computers that have issues with EZ cd creator and XP. These issues result from the fact that Roxio provided the built in CD burning functions XP and it clashed with anything older the very newest ver. of EZ CD (5.02 I think). What made the situation worse was Roxio attempting to cash in on the problem by charging for the upgrade

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll agree with most folks here: W2K is more stable, but I really like the interface and touches in XP. I miss them when I go back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.