Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

At least one of my two fairly-new hard drives started to be much louder and more annoying only just today, having louder chirping than before, calming down only for a couple of seconds occasionally. Is there anything I can do to keep the noise down? Or any explanation why it became louder?

Both hard drives are:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, Serial ATA-300
I bought them only about 3 months ago, brand new, off newegg.com, I believe. No changes to the system recently or to the programs or processing power I used today.

Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have the same problem with my seagate drive. It has a personality of its own, because some days it's quiet and some days it's loud.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just run the Seagate diagnostic on the drive to ensure it is ok.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
mine's the same way
some days it's quiet, like yesterday, and other days, like today, it's loud
i downloaded and ran the SeaTools for Windows diagnostic, but as soon as i try any of the tests, it says:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

clicking Continue doesn't do anything, though

·
Registered
112 Posts
They are faulty. It's been happening since Seagate started to make them in China. They've basically turned to ****, if you want a good Seagate now, in my opinion, you have to get an ES (server) series.

If it's chirping I'd RMA it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.