Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
main comp not on same network

the main computer in my house has suddenly connected to a different network and will no longer connect to the web. all others are still ok. any ideas why this may of happened and how to fix?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I posted the other day but didnt really give much info so didnt get any response...

My problem is i have a small network at home and my main PC (vista) has suddenly stopped connecting to the network. When looking into it i think it possibly is the port that stopped working, as this is the only comp that is connecting via cable as others are wireless, but if i plug the cable directly into my laptop it picks up the network straight away. I have tried updating the drive but comp says it is the most up to date one. Have also got windows updates that may help but they wont install as im not connected to the web (interesting how it managed to find the updates though)..

Any ideas or help would be hugely appreciated.

Seb

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,376 Posts
My problem is i have a small network at home and my main PC (vista) has suddenly stopped connecting to the network. When looking into it i think it possibly is the port that stopped working, as this is the only comp that is connecting via cable as others are wireless, but if i plug the cable directly into my laptop it picks up the network straight away. I have tried updating the drive but comp says it is the most up to date one. Have also got windows updates that may help but they wont install as im not connected to the web (interesting how it managed to find the updates though)..

Any ideas or help would be hugely appreciated.

Seb
Hi Seb. . .

I merged your two threads here.

The area in RED -- are you describing the testing of the Ethernet connection with another system?

Is the Vista system in question a desktop or laptop?

Does the Vista system have wifi?

Is the Vista system updated with SP1 & SP2?

Check Device Manager for red/ yellow flags -
START | type devmgmt.msc

Look at "Network" specifically.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the response.

yes the area in red is me testing that the cable worked on different system (my laptop also running vista)

the PC that isnt working is a Dell insprion 530s running vista which dosent have wifi.

not sure what 'updated with SP1 & SP2' is? sorry.

will check device manager for flags etc. when i am back from work very shortly and let you know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have resorted to booking it into PC world. seems its just gone awol on me! am unable to ping 198.168.1.1 or 127.0.0.1 or even a web address. general failure every time!! hopefully they can sort it under the ins and all will be back to normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.