Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the full story Front to back...

I went online to go download the offline version of the Chara Maker,Charas.EX, (because their Battle System is down and I need Battle Charas for my game) and when I ran it, it obviously ran the updater...then crashed. Not a normal crash, either. It instantly went into standby, it looked like. Except I couldn't get out of that black screen (tried CTRL+ALT+DELETE, ALT+ENTER, Windows Key).

So I started back up, ran through the disk check (and it deleted some Allocation Units from Firefox o_O) and continued. But my mouse would occasionally freeze, then continue moving. I messed around in the mouse properties, namely changing the cursor and reinstalling drivers, and when I rebooted it was worse. My mouse was jiggling and stuff, but once I got out of the log in screen it was normal. Well, here I am. It still is fine, no freezing, permanent freezing, or strange movement.

But if it happens again, can someone give me some tips? It's been happening a lot.

·
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Te
14,513 Posts
The easiest and most common thing to do for a mouse (if it is a standard mouse) is to twist the bottom off and cleand the ball and 3 rollers with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not what you think...

My mouse is a built-in mouse with my laptop. Touchpad. Is that the problem?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
My mouse is a built-in mouse with my laptop. Touchpad. Is that the problem?
Including this in your initial description of your problem would have been very much appreciated.
Typically when a system crashes reguardless of "how" it is normal for the system to lose drivers. Most of the time I see the video drivers getting pooched and reinstalling usually corrects the issue. In your case your sound drivers went south. There is no way to predict a crash in the system. You can however keep the system maintained. This would include, defragmenting, running security programs such as Spybot S&D, Adaware SE and your anti virus regularly. Also keep the temp/temp internet files cleared out.

Now,it might be a good idea to Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. You will need your Windows cd.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.