Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, hopw you can help me with my problem... i just bought a memory SDRAM 512mb PC-133, i thought it would work just fine until I inserted it and test, when my PC boots it only reads 128 instead of the 512. i would like to know what's causing this problem... hope anyone can help me

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I found a program to open it.
This is a PIII setup with a motherboard that uses the Intel 440BX chipset. Your BIOS date is 6/13/00.
They are a few reasons why you cannot see the full amount of memory.

First. The 440BX chipset will only support 256MB max in each slot. On top of that, the modules must be double rank (low density). Meaning the motherboard is capable of supporting 1GB not exceeding 128MB per rank (4 slots / 256MB x 4).

Second. If indeed you are using a double rank module (low density) you may need to upgrade the system BIOS. Native 440BX boards could only support up to 128MB in each slot. But I believe that you BIOS is current enough to support 256MB in each slot.

I am going to have to conclude that the reason you are only seeing 128MB is because the module you have is a 512MB high density (single rank) module. Which in turn means that since your MB will only see 128MB per rank, that is all you will see out of the module.

You sould probably check about returning the stick and get a couple of low density 256MB modules.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Here are the basic points from the Everest report.

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 866 MHz (6.5 x 133)
Motherboard Name DFI CB50-BX/ZX / CB60-BX/ZX / CB61 / P2XBL Rev D / PB50-BX/ZX / PB61-ZX
Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX/ZX
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
BIOS Type Award Modular (06/13/00)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
DMI:
DMI BIOS Vendor Award Software International, Inc.
DMI BIOS Version 4.51 PG
DMI System Manufacturer
DMI System Product
DMI System Version
DMI System Serial Number [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI Motherboard Manufacturer
DMI Motherboard Product i440BX-FD
DMI Motherboard Version
DMI Motherboard Serial Number [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI Chassis Manufacturer
DMI Chassis Version
DMI Chassis Serial Number [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI Chassis Asset Tag [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI Chassis Type
DMI Total / Free Memory Sockets 4 / 2

Memory Controller ]

Memory Controller Properties:
Error Detection Method 8-bit Parity
Error Correction None
Supported Memory Interleave 1-Way
Current Memory Interleave 1-Way
Supported Memory Speeds 70ns, 60ns
Supported Memory Types EDO, SDRAM
Supported Memory Voltages 3.3V
Maximum Memory Module Size 32 MB
Memory Slots 4

From Intel
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sr440bx/sb/cs-013647.htm
Main Memory
100MHz 3.3V SDRAM DIMMs
512 MB maximum main memory
Two DIMM slots
http://www.intel.com/design/support/faq/embed_proces/pentiumiii_lp_mod.htm
What kind of SDRAM clock buffer should I use with the 440BX?
Zero delay clock buffers have internal PLLs which cause contention with the PLL internal to the 440BX. This contention can be observed in the form of jitter on the 440BX DCLKO and DCLKWR signals. As another observable symptom the system will lockup after the processor attempts to fetch the first 8 bytes of BIOS. The customer should use SDRAM clock buffers that do not have an internal PLL.

Are 256Mbit SDRAM's supported?
The 82443BX does not support 256Mbit technology SDRAM.

128Mbit technology SDRAM using 16MX8 devices has been tested in the Intel® 82440BX System Validation (SV) platform using the 82443BX C-1 stepping. This SDRAM memory configuration was double-sided.
Each SDRAM DIMM module therefore contained a total of 256Mb of memory. A total of four DIMM modules were available for testing. For further information please see page 25 of the specification update.

There were no detection or sizing problems with this SDRAM memory array using the 82440BX SV board and 82440BX SV BIOS. The 82440BX AGPset supports the use of 128Mbit technology SDRAM memory using the 82443BX C-1 stepping as described in this paragraph.

It is recommended that OEMs wishing to use 128Mbit technology SDRAM perform validation using their own BIOS on their own 82440BX AGPset systems.
From what i have seen from both French & Dutch forums (by searching for DFI CB50-BX/ZX in Google) max board size is 256MB Double sided. ie 128MB per side
If your memory is 512 single sided then it will only recognise 128MB

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
From what i have seen from both French & Dutch forums (by searching for DFI CB50-BX/ZX in Google) max board size is 256MB Double sided. ie 128MB per side
If your memory is 512 single sided then it will only recognise 128MB
Try not to use the term "single sided" or "double sided" as it is not actually liable anymore. I have seen high density (single rank) modules that are double sided.

First rule, Double sided memory is not always low density modules. High density modules can have 16 chips (8 on each side). 'Standard' RAM chips are organized a DEPTH x 8 Bits. E.g. 32x8, 64x8, etc. That means 8 of the chips make up a 64 bit wide rank (memory bus is 64 bits wide). "Double Sided" is an old term to describe a stick with 16 chips, 8 on each side. And with DEPTH x 8 chips that makes for 2 ranks (or, again in an older style terminology: 2 'banks').

'High Density' chips are DEPTH x 4 bits so it takes 16 to make a 64 bit wide memory rank. And this is why "double sided" is no longer the favored description because when x8 chips are used "Double sided" means "double rank" but with x4 chips it takes both sides and 16 chips to make the ONE, single, rank.

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
I thought that it only applied to newer technolgy (ie P4 style mobo's) and that older mobo's like PIII were still classified as single / double sided especially since we are talking 133MHz.

Old habits die hard :grin:

seems we were answering at the same time, and at least we agree! regardless of how we phrase it. :4-cheers:

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
The 440BX chipset is where I discovered this long ago on my Gigabyte GA-BX2000+ MB. I had come across a 256MB stick that was double sided but was high density. It would only show as 128MB. I noticed the chips were 16x4 chips. It took 16 chips to make the 64bit memory bus therefore the chips were on both sides but arranged in a "single rank".

For a 256MB "low density" module you need to make sure that the chips, on the module, are 16x8.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I found a program to open it.
This is a PIII setup with a motherboard that uses the Intel 440BX chipset. Your BIOS date is 6/13/00.
They are a few reasons why you cannot see the full amount of memory.

First. The 440BX chipset will only support 256MB max in each slot. On top of that, the modules must be double rank (low density). Meaning the motherboard is capable of supporting 1GB not exceeding 128MB per rank (4 slots / 256MB x 4).

Second. If indeed you are using a double rank module (low density) you may need to upgrade the system BIOS. Native 440BX boards could only support up to 128MB in each slot. But I believe that you BIOS is current enough to support 256MB in each slot.

I am going to have to conclude that the reason you are only seeing 128MB is because the module you have is a 512MB high density (single rank) module. Which in turn means that since your MB will only see 128MB per rank, that is all you will see out of the module.

You sould probably check about returning the stick and get a couple of low density 256MB modules.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/
thanx for answering my post, regarding on the uploaded file it can be open using winrar it can be found on www.rarlab.com but i guess you don't need this any more, back to the topic i have a few questions again to ask here it is:

1. regarding to you conclusion, what would i do now? ask the store to replace the memory for 2 256mb SDRAM? is that what you mean? and if "yes" what specification would i look for the replacement to run properly (to maximize the capacity) on my mobo?

2. do i still need to update my BIOS? and if ever where can i find the latest update? does my mobo supports more than 512 of memory?

3. lastly, i'm not too techie to understand some terms you are using like "high density" and "low density", but i'm trying to understand the topic you posted. so in regard with that, i'm describing my memory. it has 8 chips on both sides so what will i term it high density or low density?

hope you can find the time to answer my queries, and sorry for my bad english... more power

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
1. Yes I would ask the store to replace the memory with 2x 256MB low density modules. Since the 512MB module is not compatible with your system. Ask the seller for "Low Density" or "Double Rank" modules. Make sure the chips read 16x8 and not 16x4 or 32x4.

2. You probably do not need to update your BIOS. If you do, this is not a task that can be taken heartedly, because if done incorrectly, it will render the motherboard useless. BIOS update can be downloaded from the MB manufacturer. How ever you will need the exact model number of your motherboard to get the right BIOS version. If you flash the wrong version, it could render your motherboard useless.

3. When you have chips on both sides, the term "double sided" is usually used. As I stated above, you really cannot use this term any more to identify "high density" or "low density" modules. You really need to look at the individual chips on the module and see their arrangement.

The memory bus is 64 bit wide. You need sufficient number of chips on the module to make this 64 bit wide bus. On a 256MB stick, if they are using 16x4 chips, then it will take 16 chips to make the 64 bit bus. Each rank needs enough chips to make 64bits.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1. Yes I would ask the store to replace the memory with 2x 256MB low density modules. Since the 512MB module is not compatible with your system. Ask the seller for "Low Density" or "Double Rank" modules. Make sure the chips read 16x8 and not 16x4 or 32x4.

2. You probably do not need to update your BIOS. If you do, this is not a task that can be taken heartedly, because if done incorrectly, it will render the motherboard useless. BIOS update can be downloaded from the MB manufacturer. How ever you will need the exact model number of your motherboard to get the right BIOS version. If you flash the wrong version, it could render your motherboard useless.

3. When you have chips on both sides, the term "double sided" is usually used. As I stated above, you really cannot use this term any more to identify "high density" or "low density" modules. You really need to look at the individual chips on the module and see their arrangement.

The memory bus is 64 bit wide. You need sufficient number of chips on the module to make this 64 bit wide bus. On a 256MB stick, if they are using 16x4 chips, then it will take 16 chips to make the 64 bit bus. Each rank needs enough chips to make 64bits.

for the forum:

hi guys, thanx for the answer in my querie... i reuploaded the file again coz the details that everest generated was incomplete coz its just a trial version, i uploaded the complete generated output of everest so here it is... i just hope you can analyze it again. i have one question regarding my memory again, according to the report of everest the module size of my memory is it has (1 rank, 4 banks) or 512MB, the question is can you tell if my memory is low or high density base on the info i gave you? coz according to your answer in my recent post that my memory is high density... i just want to make sure, im sorry if i ask a lot of the same question, i just want to make it clear to me coz im not that techie by nature, and the one that you're discussing is new to my ears i hope you have a lot of patience to me... and sorry for my english. hope you can answer this again

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
I've been looking around the DFI site looking for your mobo.

I can find the numbers given in the report, I cannot fina any mobo with 4 DIMM slots. most have 2 a few have 3. I looked at Socket 370 and Slot1 styles without joy.
CAn you look at your mobo, verify how may slots DIMM slots available in case it's a question of the "interpretation" by the interrogating s/w.
All boards I have seen indicate max memory 512MB.

CB50-ZX
http://sj.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=1155&CATEGORY_TYPE=null
Specification
CPU
Celeron™ 300A-466MHz or future 100MHz FSB Celeron™ Processors

CPU Socket
Socket 370

Chipset
Intel 440ZX100

Memory
2 DIMM sockets
max. 512MB (unbuffered)

CB60-ZX
http://sj.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=1157
Specification
CPU
Celeron™300A-466MHz or future 100MHz FSB
Celeron™Processors

CPU Socket
Socket 370

Chipset
Intel 440ZX100

Memory
2 DIMM sockets
max. 512MB (unbuffered)
OF course NONE of this info fits in with your mobo specs

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 866 MHz (6.5 x 133)
Motherboard Name DFI CB50-BX/ZX / CB60-BX/ZX / CB61 / P2XBL Rev D / PB50-BX/ZX / PB61-ZX
Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX/ZX
System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (06/13/00)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
Are you overclocking ???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I can find the numbers given in the report, I cannot fina any mobo with 4 DIMM slots. most have 2 a few have 3. I looked at Socket 370 and Slot1 styles without joy.
CAn you look at your mobo, verify how may slots DIMM slots available in case it's a question of the "interpretation" by the interrogating s/w.

CB50-ZX
http://sj.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=1155&CATEGORY_TYPE=null

CB60-ZX
http://sj.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=1157

OF course NONE of this info fits in with your mobo specs

Are you overclocking ???
thanx for reading,nope im not overclocking ....the processor multiplier is set to default, i never want to try to overclock...its too risky, on your question...my board contains 3 DIMM slots, why are you asking? is there somethinng wrong with my mobo?

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
NOthing Wrong

was looking at your Report.html
which said
[ Memory Devices / DIMM1 ]

Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor DIMM
Type EDRAM
Size 128 MB
Total Width 64-bit
Data Width 64-bit
Device Locator DIMM1
Bank Locator Bank0/1

[ Memory Devices / DIMM2 ]

Form Factor DIMM
Type EDRAM
Size 128 MB
Total Width 64-bit
Data Width 64-bit
Device Locator DIMM2
Bank Locator Bank2/3

[ Memory Devices / DIMM3 ]

Form Factor DIMM
Type EDRAM
Device Locator DIMM3
Bank Locator Bank4/5

[ Memory Devices / DIMM4 ]

Form Factor DIMM
Type EDRAM
Device Locator DIMM4
Bank Locator Bank6/7
so I had been loking to find a mobo with 4 DIMM slots but there aren't any.
Also the CPU clock speed that is supported is supposed to be a lot slower than you 866MHz.

I suspect that you have the PB50-BX board or a clone ..

http://sj.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pro....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=1224&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB&SITE=US

PB50-BX Features

Overview

Specification
CPU
Pentium® III 450-500MHz /100MHz
Pentium® II 350-450MHz / 100MHz
Pentium® II 233-333MHz / 66MHz
SEPP Celeron™ 266-433MHz / 66MHz

CPU Socket
Slot 1

Chipset
Intel 440BX AGPset

Memory
3 DIMM sockets
max. 768MB (unbuffered)
Supports PC-100 and and ECC
It could be this board but it's a slot1
P2BXL R D

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts

CB50-ZX
Maybe its this instead, with 3 DIMMS.

DFI® GCB50-BX Motherboard

:4-dontkno ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.