Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My laptop is taking hours to boot up into XP Pro sp3.

I have two partitions. I can boot into Win7 and run chkdsk on the XP partition.
Chkdsk runs clean.
I have two gig of memory.
It runs fine if I boot into Win7.
I have Bitdefender antivirus installed, running and up-to-date.
I have run Malwarebytes with no errors.
I have run sfc /scannow.
When it does boot up I don't see all the icons in the sys tray.
It takes for ever to run a program.
Speed Fan S.M.A.R.T. Tab show the hard drive is healthy.

Could someone please help me figure out what is causing such long delays?

Thank you,

Docfxit

·
Registered
213 Posts
Did this laptop come with Windows XP, or did you try and install it after? If you installed it yourself, did you install all the necessary drivers? Does XP run acceptably well once it boots, or is it always slow? Finally, does it literally take hours to boot? If not, to the nearest minute, how long does it actually take?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I restored XP from an image from a different laptop.
It had been running fine for a long time.
I installed all the correct drivers.
After it boots it's slower than molasses. It just took hours to Uninstall a program.
It really does take hours to boot.

Thanks for the reply,

Docfxit

·
Registered
193 Posts
I restored XP from an image from a different laptop.
It had been running fine for a long time.
I installed all the correct drivers.
After it boots it's slower than molasses. It just took hours to Uninstall a program.
It really does take hours to boot.

Thanks for the reply,

Docfxit
And it did not BSoD. It is amazing that it would boot it will be dead slow as it is loading twice as many drivers and cannot decide which one to use for the hdd so it is taking for ever. it has drivers from the other laptop. Is the laptop ide cause that sounds like xp is running in pio. Try fresh installing xp from a disc. And also is it not illegal to use an oem installation on more than one computer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found one of the problems. When the computer started taking hours to boot up one of the troubleshooting steps I took was to run Process Monitor, Enable Boot Logging. Evidently it must start logging when the program is started (before the re-boot) and continue after the re-boot. This caused it to take hours to re-boot and very UN-acceptible delays in running programs. I have turned off Process Monitor. I still don't know if the re-boot problem is fixed.

Thanks,

Docfxit

·
Registered
193 Posts
I found one of the problems. When the computer started taking hours to boot up one of the troubleshooting steps I took was to run Process Monitor, Enable Boot Logging. Evidently it must start logging when the program is started (before the re-boot) and continue after the re-boot. This caused it to take hours to re-boot and very UN-acceptible delays in running programs. I have turned off Process Monitor. I still don't know if the re-boot problem is fixed.

Thanks,

Docfxit
well because of the bad drivers the boot loging could slow it down

·
Registered
193 Posts
You should back up all of your files and reinstall windows with a legal product key as the way you are running windows is illegal you are using an oem product key on more than one computer! the reboot time could be the boot logging it could also be the fact that you have two systems of drivers installed on on copy of windows

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should back up all of your files and reinstall windows with a legal product key as the way you are running windows is illegal you are using an oem product key on more than one computer! the reboot time could be the boot logging it could also be the fact that you have two systems of drivers installed on on copy of windows
First. I am not running an illegal copy of windows. Windows was removed from the old computer. And a copy of XP came on this computer. The product key that came on this computer was installed when I had to re-install the os to get it running. So I actually have an XP product key that is legal and I'm not using it.

It probably does have two sets of drivers. They aren't listed in Device manager even when I "show hidden devices".

Do you know how to remove the old drivers?

Thanks for you concern,

Docfxit

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,227 Posts
It probably does have two sets of drivers.
When you update a driver, the old one still exists but is tucked away nicely until you you need to roll back the newer driver. Sometimes, with a video driver, you have to uninstall it, in Add Remove programs as well as in the Device Manager, after a reboot, Windows will use the Default VGA driver. Then you can install the updated driver. Most other Hardware does not require this step.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The drivers in red are Unknown in this program.
There are no unknown drivers in Device Manager.

I'm guessing these are from the other computer.

Thanks,

Docfxit

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,227 Posts
Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager, are there any devices with yellow flags? If so, these devices need to have drivers installed. (attach a screen shot of Device Manager) If there are no yellow flags, there there are no unknown devices. If there are yellow flags, Go to the computer manufacturers Support/Download drivers site and type in your make and model# and download the drivers you need from that site. Start with the Chipset Driver.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I figured out how to see the hidden drivers.

When you install a device driver on a Windows XP machine, the operating system loads that driver each time the computer boots regardless of whether the device is present—unless you specifically uninstall the driver. This means that drivers from devices that you have long since removed from your system may be wasting valuable system resources.

Follow these steps to view and remove these unnecessary device drivers:

1. Press [Windows]+[Break] to bring up the System Properties dialog box.
2. Select the Advanced tab and click the Environment Variables button.
3. Click the New button below the System Variables panel.
4. In the New System Variable dialog box, type devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices in the Variable Name text box and 1 in the Variable Value text box.
5. Click OK to return to the System Properties dialog box and then click OK again.
6. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
7. In Device Manager, go to View | Show Hidden Devices.
8. Expand the various branches in the device tree and look for the washed out icons, which indicate unused device drivers.
9. To remove an unused device driver, right-click the icon and select Uninstall.

That cleaned up all the items in red and the machine is booting faster now.

Docfxit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.