Tech Support banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other evening I updated the OS on my iphone 7 (to 14.4.2). No problems.

But about 45 minutes after that was completed, I got a call on that phone from a number I did not recognize, so I ignored the call. A few minutes later, a second call, from a different number (but same area code & exchange--same AC & exchange as my phone!)

Then a third, 4th, 5th, all from different numbers on my A/C & exchange. So I knew this was a scam of some sort. One of the callers left a voicemail, which I listened to--the usual nonsense about "your phone may have been compromised, call the apple support network for help"--which of course was nonsense.

My question: how was my phone identified as having updated the OS?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,962 Posts
You can try one of the anti-spyware programs to see if you're vulnerable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This only happened once and I am not very concerned. But I'd sure like to know some of the ways it can happen.

·
28,962 Posts
By doing anything publicly that I.D.d you as an iPhone user. In junction with your service provider's series of numbers and knowing the update was occurring, a list of prospects is easy to generate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
:unsure:Users of iPhones can now prevent advertisers tracking them across their apps, after the release of the latest software update from Apple introduced the controversial feature despite the protests of Facebook and the advertising industry.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By doing anything publicly that I.D.d you as an iPhone user. In junction with your service provider's series of numbers and knowing the update was occurring, a list of prospects is easy to generate.
Not sure what is meant by "doing anything publicly". The only things I do on my iphone are read & send email using my gmail account and occasionally read some web sites such as VICE.com or washingtonpost.com. I am careful about what information I reveal about myself publicly on any account or service I use, and I cannot think of any time I might have made any comment at all anywhere about my iphone. (Other than here, but I have never posted my iphone number.)

·
28,962 Posts
Everything you just mentioned is public. Not to all "publics", but not totally private.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,232 Posts
Using any browser on your iPhone, go to:

and it will show you how trackers see your browser’s most unique and identifying characteristics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts