Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hiya,

My computer gets hot. I don't mean my computer is spiffy cool, I mean it gets hot. I can't determine the precise cause, but most believe it's my processor. Um, I don't know what else to post. :1angel: How can I find out the problem?

I think it's my processor because it's temperature is around 113 degrees. That's pretty dang hot. I guess I need a better or bigger fan. But my Power Supply, according to my father, says it does not contain a fan. So, we're thinking of replacing the power supply too. My Computer does not have a fan, the only fan inside the computer, is for the processor.

Okay, obviously, my computer gets hot! I can't tell what to worry about most, or what causes my computer to freeze completly, be it the processor or computer fan? I'm also not sure if this is the whole problem, it could be something else. What else should I look for? So far, CPU fan, Computer fan, Power Supply fan. Is that all?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Design Team
2,274 Posts
MD, for a case with no exhaust fans (which is what it sound like from your description) 113 degrees is acceptable for you processor temp. A power supply with a fan would be a good investment if yours indeed has no fan, and a good exhaust fan for your case or a new case entirely if yours has unacceptable potential for air circulation. It would be helpful to know the internal temp of your case. Also, what kind of processor is it? Some are known to run hotter than others.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Intel Sempron. Running at 2 GHz, the clock can go up to 250, but if it does, it doesn't boot up Windows. Clock at 200 just happens to be the spot where Windows can boot up normally.

System Temperature is 78 degrees F
CPU Temperature is actually 122 degrees F

·
2,274 Posts
Sempron's are made by AMD, you've got a dell so it's probably an Intel Celeron. I don't know as much as I should about cooling for Intel chips, but hopefully someone can give you some good advice. It sounds like if you want to lower your cpu temp, a good heatsink/fan combo and all the right condoments might do you good.
P.S. there could be other problems causing you to freeze, but you've hit on the most obvious unless you've got some sort of malware working against you. I'll leave it up to the hardware pro's to make suggestions of what else to check.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, this isn't a dell. This is all custom built. That's why I'm asking. :sayyes: I just built this computer about a month ago. I believe when I multitask, my computer freezes like that. That's why I felt certain it's my CPU.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Mana Dragon said:
Actually, this isn't a dell. This is all custom built. That's why I'm asking. :sayyes: I just built this computer about a month ago. I believe when I multitask, my computer freezes like that. That's why I felt certain it's my CPU.
Hi,

We need to look at a couple of things. First of all, are you certain that your power supply does not have a fan in it?? Take another look from the back of the case and see if there are blades in there. Also, when it is running, can you feel the hot air coming out the back from a fan (some are rather internal) blowing? IMO, a fan here is necessary.

Next, we need to take a look at the issue on a larger scale. Therefore so we both are on the same standard, please list temps as Centrigrade since that is the normal reporting standard for computers. What I would like to see you do is to monitor the temps and the voltages on your computer. When you do the temps, please check them at-rest and under-stress or something that really taxes the computer like a game. Here is a free program download to do that:

Sandra Lite Utility

http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

or

Speedfan will tell you the temperatures and a whole lot more. It's free

http://www.sofotex.com/SpeedFan-download_L4655.html

or

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

The last thing I want to mention is that all modern computers MUST have a minimum of one fan to move air in the case. I think you need to take a look at adding a case fan at the rear of your case and having it pull the hot air out of the case and blow it out the back of the case. Even better would be to have one in the back blowing out hot air and one fan in the front to pull in cool air. You really need to consider those points if the problem is heat.

Give this info a read and post back when appropriate.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Case fan alright. . .

"Centrigrade" Wow, new vocabulary. You're a mile a minute bud, I'm totally new to voltage and . . . stuff. So, let's see if this is what you want? I'm using SpeedFan for these screenshots:

http://www.knightsofmana.com/Misc/sf1.jpg
http://www.knightsofmana.com/Misc/sf2.jpg

I'm looking at some of these . . . uh . . . I see alot of V's I guess that's different types of voltage. I don't know what I'm looking at, or what you're requesting. I hope I'm doing the right thing.

What I did, the first screenshot has only the internet in the background, I guess that's considered "at-rest" especially judging by the CPU's uh . . . meter bar.

As for screenshot 2, I opened up a game and ALT TAB-ed out (That's computer-slang for minimize). This also happens to be the game which causes the problem more-so often than anything else. On my other computer, I never had the problem of multitasking. You can see the processor's meter bar thingie really putting in extra work. Maybe I need a better processor. . . Good thing I applied for a job at Best Buy.

·
2,274 Posts
Mana Dragon said:
All apologies... somewhere in there I thought you said it was a dell. Good god are my eyes going.
... Tumble thanks for taking over when the old blind man had a senile moment.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

From what you have supplied, I see two problems.

1) First of all, if you see the little flame on the one reading, that tells you that your (I think this is the one for the CPU) CPU is too hot. Although the temp is not off the chart, it is quite hot for the unit that you have.

This leads me to believe that you have one of two problems since your motherboard temp does not seem to be very high. First, I would be interested in knowing what type of thermal solution you used between your heatsink and CPU. I mean, did you use the factory pad or did you use Artic Silver? That alone can make quite a difference in your CPU temps. The other possible one (I don't suspect this as much) is that you just don't have enough air flowing through that area.

What you need to understand is that your at-rest temp is way too high, but your under-stress temp is high, but not ourtageous although in the warning range of problems. Any at-rest temps less than 37c would be normal for the vast majority of computers. Your motherboard temp is below that and in a good range. With the unit that you have, your under-stress (playing a game or multi-tasking) temps should probably not exceed much over 50c if everything is put together properly. With proper heatsink/CPU connection (thermal paste, etc), this temp might come down.

2) Your power supply is way low on the 3.3 rail. For example, normal operation of a power supply permits a variation of only 5% variation from the stated power. Otherwise a 3.3 rail if operatiing properly could only be between 3.465 and 3.135. Anything below that is considered to be way out of range and will have an effect upon the operation of computer components. Your 3.3 rail is putting out only 2.7 on the 3.3 rail. That is totally inadequate.

Post back with any questions that you might have. It just seems to me that your motherboard temp is very low for a computer that does not have a power supply fan or case fan.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi again,

Just wanted to pass along another suggestion for you that might be a solution that would be greater than doing this thing piece meal.

A good power supply will cost you nearly 100 bucks. If you purchase a power supply, I could not recommend anything less than a 450 watt Antec or Enermax. Other supplies just don't cut it. Then, you have the cost of a case fan from seven to twenty bucks depending upon what you get. Then, you have an old case with some new guts.

A possible solution, if you will look at either ZipZomFly.com or NewEgg.com, you will find a beautiful case (with front ports) called an Antec Sonata II. It has a great 450 watt power supply in it and is rather quiet and a front fan comes standard. This case with power supply sells for something like 115 or so including shipping. That way, you get the new supply (that alone will cost you close to one hundred), a new and beautiful case, and an included 120mm fan for almost the price of the power supply.

I do understand if you are short in funds right now, but thought I would pass that suggestion on to you. O.K., I will leave you alone to ponder what you need to do, but wanted to give you all options to look at before you jumped in and ordered something that was not the best for your situation.

I do hope you get other replies so someone else can take a look at this analysis of your situation.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
SixShooter said:
All apologies... somewhere in there I thought you said it was a dell. Good god are my eyes going.
... Tumble thanks for taking over when the old blind man had a senile moment.
Hi Sixshooter,

When one is working several different ones at a time that is so easy to do. I have done that so many times in the past month that I can't count them even with both hands and both feet. Anyway, take a look at where we went with this and offer suggestions as you see fit. Maybe between the two of us, we will get this one solved. Have a great evening.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The thermal paste I used was Formula 5. I heard of Artic Silver, but that seems I can only purchase that online too. That's not a problem, but I didn't realize how big an effect this type of material has. It's just ooze to me :rolleyes:

Good thing I got this bookmarked, I'll have to refer to this page when I get some cash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.