Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy,

Ever since I turned my comp on this morning, it has been making a really weird noise. As far as I can tell, it is coming from the hdd. It is a constant, high pitched, "sharp" noise, if you will. It sounds similar to a circular blade (or disk) spinning at high speed on a saw, but not so rough. It usually has a similar noise to it but not so loud. It is now extremely annoying. The computer seems to be working fine, although it is a little slower. In addition, the Hdd is pretty hot. I can't keep my finger on it for more than 5 seconds without having to remove my finger. Any ideas as to what it is or what I can do? Thanks.

CMA

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hi,

first of all, back up your data since the computer is still running. it seems like the hdd is failing. one thing you can do to check if the hdd is failing is to test the hdd with the diagnostics utility of the hdd.

if your hdd didnt come with one, then i recommend going to the manufacturer's website of the hdd and downloading their diagnostics utility. then put it on a cd and bootup the computer to the diagnostics utility.

then follow the onscreen instructions and then test the hdd for any errors.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
That's most likely bad bearings. The diagnostics won't necessarily show anything up, but as keymaker said, BACKUP NOW!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a backup of anything important and ran a quick test with the diagnostic tool. I didn't get any errors. It seems to have quieted down as well. My comp does get loud though, whenever I'm in safe mode or DOS. I wonder why.

CMA

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
DOS is so simple that it doesn't need to always be accessing the HDD. I still think you should just replace it.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I've had disks with bad bearings go in a few weeks, and I've had them hang on for a year or more. However, when the sound comes and goes, it's almost always a sign the bearings are on their way out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.