Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Looking for some advise please. I live in Florida and my Gran lives in Scotland - we have just got her a laptop and she is struggling to get stuff set up.

Can anyone recommend a good ( and easy !) free download that will allow me to see and control her laptop from my pc ?

I have looked at netmeeting and stuff and I am not quite sure if they are the right tools for the job ?

Thanks from Grandma and me !!

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi Primplepuss....

if you use Windows Messenger, MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenge you can use a program called Remote Assistance which allows you to control her PC remotely. It's pretty straightforward and freeware too.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys

Thanks for the info - but ( theres always a but with me :rolleyes: ) - the trouble she is having is with messenger !!! and the problem I am having is trying to work through requesting remote assistance myself before I can explain to her! When I open help and support I cant find the link to invite someone to my computer ( as this is what I would need to explain to gran ) - maybe I need glasses - I have attached my help and support home page so you can have a look ?????

Cheers

Attachments

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
That looks like the HP Help Centre....you need the Microsoft one. Try the following please....

- Start -> Run -> type:
helpctr.exe
- Click OK
- If it works, the Remote Assistance section will be towards the top on the right...but i'm not sure it will work as HP may have modded the system??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She said she cant open messenger as she keeps getting a message when she clicks on it to open it. She said the message says she needs to install or download something - shes 73 and gets really flustered and rather than ask her to go and do it again I thought I would try and have a look. Not that I claim to be a professional but I know a bit more than her - I hope - gulp !!

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Ok...it's probably telling her she needs a newer version or something. Gonna have a little think about it and I'll get back to you :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.