Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make two sites, and although comfortable with most software, I'm new to web-design.

1) The first site is for a business, one page will do to start so visitors can read about the available services, but after a few months would like the provision so people can leave contact details. I presently have Frontpage, Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Photo Shop.
My simple question to start with is should I use a template, or start from scratch? If starting from scratch should I start with the background using graphics s/w then take into Frontpage to add text and functionality as suggested by someone else?

1) The second site is really just to show photographs and a few paragraphs of text so my wifes friends and family from her own country abroad can follow her life in the UK. What is the best format for this. Would it be to use some service which allows one to upload to their space? Or create a blog (how is this different to a one page site?). Or should I create a one or two page website?

Thanks all.
Her friends aren't very computer literate so it needs to be easily accessable.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Beano said:
I want to make two sites, and although comfortable with most software, I'm new to web-design.

1) The first site is for a business, one page will do to start so visitors can read about the available services, but after a few months would like the provision so people can leave contact details. I presently have Frontpage, Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Photo Shop.
My simple question to start with is should I use a template, or start from scratch? If starting from scratch should I start with the background using graphics s/w then take into Frontpage to add text and functionality as suggested by someone else?
It's really up to you. Choosing a premade template has the advantage of eliminating the effort to design a site from scratch (especially if you don't have experience with web development). On the other hand, designing the page from scratch has the added advantage of being able to customize it and make it look exactly how you visualize it, and will give you a larger sense of accomplishment too. :p Regardless, I'd suggest you _don't_ use Frontpage. A better idea would be to acquire a sound knowledge XHTML and CSS (not as hard as it may sound). If you need reasons why not to use Frontpage, check out this document:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...+not+to+use+frontpage"&hl=en&client=firefox-a

1) The second site is really just to show photographs and a few paragraphs of text so my wifes friends and family from her own country abroad can follow her life in the UK. What is the best format for this. Would it be to use some service which allows one to upload to their space? Or create a blog (how is this different to a one page site?). Or should I create a one or two page website?
My suggestion would be to upload the pictures to a web host and simply use the default directory listing to allow visitors to view them. If you want it to look slightly snazzier, you could always change the default directory listing or write a simple PHP script to get a list of pictures in the root directory and display links as an HTML-formatted output.

Hope this helps.

-Ch4r

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Design Team
2,274 Posts
Ch4r said:
Regardless, I'd suggest you _don't_ use Frontpage. A better idea would be to acquire a sound knowledge XHTML and CSS (not as hard as it may sound).
-Ch4r
I agree that a sound knowledge in XHTML and CSS beat Frontpage on their worst day. I have to disagree with what you said though. If Frontpage is the only option available to you, and you don't have the time or desire to learn to code yourself (learning is easy, but getting really good at it does take alot of time), then Frontpage is a viable alternative, even if it is a greatly lacking program. No WYSIWYG program is truly WYSIWYG, but it's just a sacrifice you make in using this type of program. (WYSIRWYGOAGD: what you see is roughly what you'll get, on a good day).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.