Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya! First off, thanks for taking the time to read my thread. You guys have a great forum, happy I found ya.

So anyways, this is my first build as the title implies. I am basically looking to see if everything is compatible and am looking for any suggestions you can provide. Good improvements for a small amount of cash, pointing out bad brands, etc.

The rig will be mainly used for gaming maybe some video recording, minor multi-tasking, and other day to day stuff. Something that I can sit on for several years and still be fairly ok with. My current computer has lasted me about seven years on a couple of cheap upgrades, but it is defenatly not suited for today’s games. P4 2.4G, 1Gig ram (mobo slots filled), GeForce 4200. Just blagh.

As to some of the other questions I see asked, other than Intel and NVIDIA brands don't bother me really, whatever is reliable. OCing would be cool, but I have no experience and would probably just kill something. Going for Windows 64-bit (ram). Ill probably just transfer my accessories to the new comp. Nothing recycled other than what was just stated. Shopping at Newegg unless someone sees some bargains. Living in the US.

Ok, on to the meat of the post. Here's what I have chosen for components and am looking for advice on.

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC $49.99 - Seems like a good price, size, and quality.

MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel
$119.99 - Here is where most of my questions are. Almost every build I see is a GIGABYTE or ASUS mobo. This one seemed swell to me. Am I missing something that I really should invest a bit more for?

x 2 EVGA 512-P3-N802-A1 GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card $580 - Yea, two if you didn't notice. I've seen a (very) small number of people complain about these in SLI, as if they were not getting the performance they expected. Heard it attributed to the processor (same as one in my build) bottlenecking their performance once and another time someone said the drivers don't support SLI yet for 8800. Both sound simply wrong to me. Not too concerned as it seemed to be an extremely small number of complaints. Looking for quality.

Thermaltake W0131RU ATX12V / EPS12V 850W Power Supply
$159.99 - 850W is what I think Ill need.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model
$279.99 - Next major question. I know there isn't much out there now that takes advantage of all 4 cores by it. Reason I went for the Quad core, 2.4GHz, 1066MHz FSB over the equally priced Duo Core, 3GHz, 1333MHz FSB is because I figured it would simply run faster with the extra duo cores. Windows and other stuff in the background would use it. And it would be utilized more in the future. Really open to suggestions here. If I am simply wrong than I will go with the Duo. It seems it may be the better choice if the four cores simply will not get used.

x2 OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR8002GK
$112 - Two again if you didn't notice. Reason for 64-bit Vista is here. That and whatever is on the horizon. Ram seems priced well, is a recommended brand, good customer comments.

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
$69.99 - Seems to fit my needs, is SATA. 10,000 RPM's seemed too pricy. I understand what OEM stands for and basically means, not a bad thing right?

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA $37.99 - Again, basic component for basic need. I hear mostly good customer comments. Still some seem to say the exact opposite. Like the drive has completely failed out of the box. No clue.

Last general question I think I have is cooling. Like I said earlier, I don't plan to OC. I simply wouldn't know what I am doing. Another fan shouldn't be required, right?

Total comes to $1410. A bit pricy, but if I can be as happy as my current comp has kept me, I think it will be a good investment.

Sorry for the massive post, but I really wanted to make a good first post. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
My personal opinion is that you should look for a board with a 680I chipset over the 650.

I would not go SLI as i think it is a waste of money, I would be more inclined to get one of the new version 8800GTX's with the new chip ( not sure when they are to be released tho , soon I think ) failing that if you want to buy right now just get a 8800GTX ultra or something. Thats just my opinion and if you have your heart set on SLI thats ok. If it doubled your video performance then i would consider it but it does not even give you a 50% increase from what i have read but anyway.

I would myself also just go a E6850 over the quad and update to a quad in the future when they can be utilized better, same deal, if you want quad it's your choice

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. So I am guessing the E6850 is simply going to be faster unless I am doing some serious multi-tasking or the program directly utilizes all four cores? If that’s the case, Ill take the E6850.

Thanks for the advice on the mobo. See quite a few upgrades on these two using the i680 chip set. ASUS and EVGA.

The EVGA is only a $20 mark up on my current price. On the other hand, the ASUS is $80 more. Quite a bit. But I see it can run both of its PCI-E slots at the same time at 16x. What does this equate too really when compared to two PCI-E at 8x?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Well there is only a couple of games i think that could utilize 4 cores and I can see this rising in the future.
I really don't know how many programs are written to use a 4 core at once so as you suggest unless you do some serious multi tasking you would more than likely have a couple of core dormant. The 6850 is a darn good cpu in my opinion and is 3.0 Ghz compared tot he 2.4 of the quad. I will wait till the 45nm quads are out and then look at them and see how things sit.

As for dual 16X, I think that is all good if you are going sli as it increases your available bandwidth with the extra lanes available

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. Ill switch to the Duo and ASUS mobo mentioned.

If anyone else has additional suggestions, I am open to them. Otherwise, thanks for your time!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again. Seagate has a 5 year warranty vs Western's 3 year. Seagate advertises a seek time that is just a tiny bit smaller. Pictures of the dirves look like a copy/paste lol. Added to my list, Western removed!

Think Ill be ordering parts when I Winter break starts and I head back home. Still got a little whole to go!

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Some of the WDs also can be noisy whereas Seagate drives are almost quiet. If you have a lot of fans you probably won't notice but on quieter machines it may be annoying.

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Some of the WDs also can be noisy whereas Seagate drives are almost quiet. If you have a lot of fans you probably won't notice but on quieter machines it may be annoying.
That that advice although wd has improved they are still quite load (i can here it when i have one case fan on but with 5 its gone) and on an older one you can hear it in the other room

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Mine is very loud; I can sometimes hear it over my 8 case fans. I have a Seagate drive in my laptop however and it is extremely quiet.

·
Just hanging around
4,906 Posts
2GB for $100??? that's a bit much... considering it's only slightly faster than 667 mhz ram. you would be better off with 4gb of 667mhz ram, for around $50

·
Just hanging around
4,906 Posts
The "DDR2 800" implies 800 MHz, no? And that is the price for two kits, each kit being 2 1GB sticks.
yes, but if you really want 800mhz ram, $100 for 4GB still seems like a lot. 4GB starts at around $70. ram, however, seems to have the more price variation (anywhere between $10-$100 per Gigabyte), so you can be sure that there'll be cheaper ones with the same specs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.