Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am using my personal computer (at home) to handle lots of email and documents every night I come back from work. As such, I frequent Gmail almost everytime I turn on my computer.

Default Browser: Firefox 3.0.10
Antivirus Softwares: Avira Premium Security Suite 8, A-Squared Anti-Malware 4.5

Recently, Firefox took longer time to load a single webpage, even that simple Firefox (Google) startup page took about 20 seconds to load completely. And performing a search on Google.com took quite some time to fetch the results. What's even worse is that Gmail took forever to load... The time needed to open an unread email or delete an email can make me a cup of coffee.

I tried uninstallling Firefox and reinstalling it again. But it doesn't help in anyway.

I have performed several deep-scans using Avira and A-Squared but no viruses were found.

Disk defragmentation has been run for a couple of times already. Everything's still the same.

By the way, I have countless bookmarks in my Firefox. Could this be the problem?

Hope you can shed some light on this. It's quite frustrating when you need to wait for a quarter of hour to read a single email. Thanks in advance.

·
Windows Tech Team, Networking Team
2,259 Posts
Have you tried another browser to see if it is as slow as FF. Is your computer the only one connected to your internet, (ie, are there any other computers sharing your connection). If so have they been scanned for malware, and viruses. I would scan your computer, and any others on your network with malwarebytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Your bookmarks will have nothing to do with the slow down, I have about 700 bookmarks, and firefox works as advertised.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried another browser to see if it is as slow as FF. Is your computer the only one connected to your internet, (ie, are there any other computers sharing your connection). If so have they been scanned for malware, and viruses. I would scan your computer, and any others on your network with malwarebytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Your bookmarks will have nothing to do with the slow down, I have about 700 bookmarks, and firefox works as advertised.
Hi, I have installed Opera and the page loading speed is still snail-slow. Accessing Gmail is still a painful task on Opera. My internet connection is solely for my computer only, which is a DSL broadband. And I have scanned my computer using MalwareBytes. Nothing found. Problem persists.

Yes you both need to try a different browser and see if the problem occurs. Then boot into Safe Mode with networking and test again on both browsers.
Yes, both Firefox and Opera are running at incredibly slow speeds. Results are still the same. I have tried booting in Safe Mode with Networking but couldn't test out the differences because my broadband connection has to be initiated via PPPoE DSL protocol (that means I can't access the net in Safe Mode with Networking). And I do not have a router to enable automatic connections.

Any other solutions to this problem? Many thanks though to Lorjack and Alpenadiver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Disable all security software and try again.
Hi, I have disabled those antivirus softwares and firewall. Firefox was indeed running faster without those things. Then what should I do now? Consider a change of security software and firewall?

I think Avira Premium Security Suite may not be meet my request for optimum internet surfing speed. What type of security suite do you recommend? Is MalwareBytes Pro better than its no-cost counterpart? Any good/decent independent firewall software that you personally deploy to secure your PC, which does't bog down Firefox's speed?

·
Windows Tech Team, Networking Team
2,259 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use any Security suite, instead I run separate AV, and firewalls. Although I do use Aviras' suite on my XP machine, and it runs faster now then when I ran Comodo firewall. But Comodo is a fast firewall in itself, try out a couple see which one works best for you, there is zone alarm, and comodo, also of course there is Windows firewall. However I would want a NAT router between my computer and windows firewall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.