Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum only finding it after dogpiling for info about this mboard. Very cool forum I might add. :) This is a long post so bear with me. I'm not a tech by anymeans but enjoy building my own systems and I like tinkering. I have many of the same troubles that are described for this board. I have a western digital hd.(The one with the 8mb cache.) maxtor hd. Geforce 4 video card. A tdk cdr. (My well worn Kenwood 72x just having died on me). A boxed p4 2.6. New Antec 400watt p.s. I bought one stick of Elixir 512mb 400mhz memory. Yeah I know it's cheap, but this is what they had, down the road I'll get a pair of mushkin black. But elixir's website said it's compatible with this board. While installing the cpu heatsink, which took enough of an effort that I was worried I would damage the board, I noticed one of the big capacitors had some movement in it. I didn't think anything of it at the time. So I spent the next two evenings formatting several times. Each with a clean install of win98se. While at the same time using the most current intel and promise drivers, including flashing the bios to the latest official and beta. I also tried many different bios settings. And switched ide cables. To try to nail down what was causing the problems. Which were intermittent lockups. Extremely slow cdrom acceses. Occasional shut down requiring a hard restart. Spontaneous reboots into the bios setup screen saying the cpu was setup incorrectly. bsod's etc.. I reseated the cpu and fan. And the problem got a bit worse. With each reboot windows time and date would reset itself. The bios wouldn't "take" the correct time and date. I took out the mboard to check it out and noticed the loose capacitor was blown. It shorted out on itself. I wonder if some of the solder connections on some of these boards might be a little "loose" added with the amount of flexing to seat the fan might be causing some intermittent voltage fluctuations ?, enough to hang the machines. I figure a good test might be to monitor the voltage and gently tap or wiggle(carefully) on some of the components around the cpu socket to see what happens. Just a thought ? Anyway the shop didn't want to exchange the board even though I had it only two days. They said it was physically damaged. And I would have to call Asus and get an rma and return it myself for warranty. utter b.s. Well after a bit of arguing in front of other customers, the owner agreed to call asus tomorrow and see if he can get them to assure a replacement for him, and only then will he exchange the board. Anyway so much for my rant and idea.
Joe.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums JoeyL..............:D

Well there are many posts on the forum about issues with this board. But this is the first time anyone has posted this type of problem. It may even help others who are having a problem and didn't catch what you did.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.