Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,728 Posts

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,576 Posts
Right click a blank spot if you can find one on the desktop. Personalize>Themes>Desktop icon settings (on right side)>Uncheck Users Files.

· Registered
37 Posts
Spent some years volunteering at an assisted living home and ran across a few desktops like this. Most, like the OP, wanted their DTs cleaned up. A couple of them said, 'Don't touch it, I know where everything is!'

For those wanting a clean DT, I added a DT folder named 'Stuff To Do' and put all the files/folders into the new folder. When visiting each week, the first 20 minutes were spent going through those files/folders and moving them to the appropriate folders. Although some organized on their own, many kinda dragged their feet, and doing it together usually took three or four visits to get it done. Most became pleased with their newfound ability to quickly organize, after learning to use the right-click 'Move to Folder' menu.

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,572 Posts
I have a handful of folder shortcuts for stuff I frequently access. I avoid putting any data on the desktop as I have my data on a separate logical drive that can get backed up every day, my boot partition only gets imaged once a week.

· Registered
3 Posts
hi guys , can somene help me , see that tttachment , my win10 desktop is a mess , see the attachment , thanks
Go through the desktop icons and remove one that you don't need so as to make a space for a new folder.
Then make the new folder and call it Desktop Icons. Highlight everything on your Desktop except your recycle bin and and the Desktop Icons folder and move all you have selected to the new Desktop Icons folder. That will clear the Desktop so you can think clearly.
Then open the new Desktop Icons folder whenever you have time (everything should then be in alphabetical order) and you can take your time to clean out what you don't need or move things to where you want them. Any items that you particularly want on the desktop for easy access you can put back, but keep those to a minimum. This will speed up your computer by keeping your Desktop clean. I hope this helps :)

· Registered
dropshipping
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi thanks , i thought i notified this forum last week i had fixed the problem, ??? ( and my second win10 PC developed the same desktop mess )
as i had to do something , i could not have both of them in a mess , this is what fixed ir . regards, donar.
1. control panel 2. ease of access 3. make computer easier to see 4. scroll own to remove background images( where available ) 5. click apply -ok
as i say , it fixed both PC's ummediately .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts