Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a dell inspiron 1000 thats about 4 years old. it has really been acting up lately, randomly shutting down. I have it sitting so the bottom is totally uncovered so it cannot over heat. It is plugged into the wall. When i turn it on, it will get to the windows loading screen, then just shut off. This happened several time ina row. this is very annoying because i need my laptop for my work! Pleas help me ! Thank you. :4-dontkno

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Get a can of Compressed air and blow out the fans on the laptop then get yourself a laptop cooler to put underneath the laptop. Check the Event Viewer and see what process is causing it to shutdown.

·
Security Team , Visiting Trainee (247)
1,070 Posts
Hi, I like the idea regarding the overheat issue. :normal: I would start by testing the software first then you can move to the hardware side. When your laptop is powering up or booting keep pressing f8 (if f8 display boot menu try f5)then from this option choose safe mode or safe mode + networking for network support.
Now if you can access safe mode it indicates that the files loading during start-up is corrupt or you have a malicious file running at start-up.

Now go to start then run and type msconfig
then choose start-up
uncheck everything apart from antivirus, antispyware and firewall if using third party

now restart machine in normal mode
You said it is 4 years will that is a clear indication that alot of dust will be covered around the fan, cpu and memory. Like the user mentioned above use an air canister while laptop is off or if you want take the plastic back off by unscrewing the screw and using a brush, which every suited you.

·
Security Team , Visiting Trainee (247)
1,070 Posts
Hopefully the above suggestions will help you fix the problem, but if you are unable to do any then it means you have a serious virus that might have modified you winlogon.

You could use a live cd to back-up dat then format and reinstall XP or to perform antivirus tests.

The Ultimate boot cd I suggest you get a copy of this, then insert it onto the lapto, let it load, then open the browser from CD and you can access te internet. Then go to certain sites to scan pc online.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.