Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, my computer has become too hot, I can even warm my feet up by putting them on the case. I've checked the 2 fans inside, cleaned it with a vaccumn but nothing's changed!
Now i really need advices from you guys to solve this problem. Do I need to replace or add more fans in my comp?

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

There are a few things you might want to look at:

1) Dont use a vacuum to clean dust from your computer anymore. Get a can of air from any Wal Mart, Radio Shack, or computer store and use that.

2) Second, you need to tell us exactly what computer you have like motherboard, case, video card, what drives, what power supply....you know, a picture of what you have.

3) We need to know what fans you have, which direction they are blowing and where they are located in the case.

4) We need to know (if you built it yourself) if you used the factory pad or Artic Silver to put the CPU together.

5) You need to use the onboard (if you have one) temperature program to monitor temps, both at-rest and under-stress. If you don't have an onboard program, then here is a free one to use. (I prefer the onboard if you have one):

Sandra Lite Utility

http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

or

Speedfan will tell you the temperatures and a whole lot more. It's free

http://www.sofotex.com/SpeedFan-download_L4655.html

or

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Post back with results and we can better know what might be going on with your computer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply Tumble! :sayyes: And these are the things that I have looked at:

I bought my comp from PCworld store 3 years ago. It's an i-media Packard Bell with a Geforce4 MX440 video card, 80Gb hard drive, 512MB DDRam, Pen4 252GHz, Power supply 250W. Actually I dont know much about motherboard and power supply I have so I dont know what to tell.
About the fans, there are only 2 fans. The first fan is right under the power supply (or may be attached to the power supply) and facing the floor. The other one is attached to the motherboard, locating under the the first fan and facing to the opposite side to the mother board ( 90 degree to the first fan). And I think they both are blowing air out.

I'll try to get the results of the onboard temperatures and post on here soon.

Thanks again for all the helps.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Frankly, I have not seen a fan arrangement like that. Let me say that if you them situated so they blow hot air out of the case, it is probably O.K. You might need to consider putting a fan in the front of the case that pulls in cool air from outside the case. Look at the bottom front of the case and see if there might be fan holes there where you could add one.

·
Registered
906 Posts
You say this is a recent problem, was it not so before?

This is a P4 252Gig? Please clarify the CPU specs.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi Barry,

I assumed he was talking about this one and had a typo or two (252 to 2.53), but not sure:

Intel Celeron D 325 2.53Ghz / 256K Cache / 533 FSB / Socket 478 / Processor

·
Registered
906 Posts
250 watts is not much for a P4, I bet the PSU needs to be replaced, I would get a higher wattage PSU 450 watts minimum, Antec or Enermax makes quality PSU's.

If it is a Celeron it may have been enough but still I would check to see if the heat is coming from the PSU and get a better one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are the things:
1.From Sandra Lite

Temperature Sensor(s)
Board Temperature : 34.0°C / 93.2°F
CPU Temperature : 22.5°C / 72.5°F td

Cooling Device(s)
Auto Fan Speed Control : No
Chassis Fan Speed : 1795rpm

2.From SpeedFan:
Fan1: 1795rpm
Fan2: 0 rpm

Temp1: 34C
Temp2: 20C
HD0: 42C
Temp1: 10C

Hope you guys can tell me something not too bad!! ^_^

Thx

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Those temps are GREAT! If you can, run something under a lot of stress and see how high they go. From the temps you have, I don't think you have a heat problem if the under-stress temps (you need to check those) bear out like those.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi again! I've been busy so there's no time to make my stupid comp run on under-stress condition yet. But I am now having a relating problem. The fan, which is attached to the power supply, is now making a very loud noise. I've tried to clean it but there hasnt been much change. What else can I do to reduce the noise? Please help!! Again! :4-dontkno

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
The best bet would be to replace the power supply with a quality one ( see previous posts) it is not advisable to try and replace the power supply fan, particuarly in one with a low wattage like your one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tumbleweed36 said:
Hi,

There are a few things you might want to look at:

1) Dont use a vacuum to clean dust from your computer anymore. Get a can of air from any Wal Mart, Radio Shack, or computer store and use that.
This is mainly my opinion and FYI.
I have read this piece of advice countless times and now I must beg to differ. There is an excellent rechargeable battery operated hand-held vacuum named "The Detailer" made by Dirt Devil that I think everyone that regularly cleans their computer should look into. It works extremely well, has a removable filter so it may be cleaned and comes with a battery charger that can even be wall mounted. I bought mine at Radio Shack for $19.99 and can probablu be found cheaper elsewhere. The suction on it is not enough to disturb any wires or cables and I am always surprised by the amount of dust collected on the filter. It really does an outstanding job of cleaning and does not just blow dust from one place to another. I, for one, highly recommend the little "Detailer" :smile:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The latest news I have got now is that the fan under the PSU is no longer running, however since I only surf webs and chat for couple of hours a day, my comp doesnt seem to have any high temperature (still 34C, 22C). Futhermore, my graphic card is not working properly. It blinks occasionally and does not give correct pictures (It might have been burnt as said by the guys in the graphic cards forum). I know that I will still have to replace my PSU and my graphic card some time in the near future but at this moment I'm a little bit short of cash. So, if I continue using my comp like this, will any more problems occur? (any more damage to HDD, mainboard, etc...).

By the way, I'm currently in the U.K so everything is so much more expensive (really hate it!)! PSU from brands such as Antec and Thermaltake, Enermax are less availble. If you guys do know some reliable PSU brands in the U.K, please give me some advices!!

Thx a lot!

Brgs.

·
Registered
878 Posts

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
HI,

I have not owned one of these, but the reviews are excellent. I think that this one is better than any you listed in the previous chart that you were considering. Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've got no problem with the link?

It's a SparklePower 550w PSU.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.