Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my Brother was on the computer and he said that the computer frooze so he shut it off and when he turned it back on the computer starts up and the compaq logo appears but doesn't get past that point. Please help

·
Registered
4 Posts
It usually happens when the computer doesn't detect the keyboard,check if the keyboard is properly connected,unplug then connect it again or try an extra working keyboard...If still having problem go to cmos settings look for something like "halt on keyboard" disable this feature or change the option(depending on your bios brand)

Also enable the diagnostic message on boot in the cmos settings, for you to have a better look on what's going on during boot time and the point where it stop.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Try going into your bios and see if the keyboard works there. try another keyboard or try the keyboard on another computer to see if it is a keyboard problem or something else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried a second keyboard and the lights turn on then flash off once the compaq sign appears. How do I get into the setting without the keyboard/mouse active. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
it depends on your bios brand you could go there by pressing F2 or F10 or del, It should be located under the logo what to press to go there.Bios by the way handles the POST, a pre-OS protocol..

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
please give the exact model of your compaq computer. Also, if you are able to get into your bios, check the time there, if your keyboard is nto working there and the time is wrong, you may just need a new bios battery.

·
Awesom-O 4000
1,241 Posts
Bios is F1 at the compaq screen on that model
I think you have a failed Bios

1. Try F1, if it does nothing at all than we could be looking at a failed motherboard or power build up in the pc. Lets start simple:

1. Try booting with ONLY the power cord and monitor

2. Power Drain and voltage switch
-> Shut off computer and unplug the power cord, hold power button in for 50 seconds then let go. Now change the voltage switch so you can see 230. Leave it for a few seconds and then flip is back to read 115. Plug in computer and try to boot up.

3. Test mouse/keyboard on another computer to make sure they work

4. Install a new BIOS

5. Buy a new motherboard

I think I covered most everything.

Focus on getting into the bios F1 and forget everything else. If you can't access that than you will never get to windows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.