Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At any given time, in any program or out, my computer just pauses everything and is frozen for about 30 seconds; then it's back to normal. I've been without a format for about six months now, but I have a suspicion that this is a hardware issue. But I don't know where to start looking. Is my cpu fan failing? Is my memory bad? Does my hdd have bad sectors? Is this a common problem? Help please.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, PurpleSky, but I couldn't find anything with Greyknight's tools. I haven't tried the ultimate boot cd because I don't own a burner, but I borrowed a friend's memory test boot cd and that came out fine. I'm very sure this is a hardware issue, but I still don't know where to look. This freezing is a very frequent and serious issue. Help!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I've narrowed the problem down to either: a) GPU overheaing or b) CPU overheating. Mind you, my box has frozen in both Windows and in 3-D accelerated games, which is why I think a CPU problem is still an option, because why would just browsing in windows overheat a graphics card? I restarted and checked the CPU temp in the bios, and it was at a stable 50C. So it's most likely the GPU. But ever since this morning when I opened up the side of the case, put it near a window, and put a room fan on high between the case and the window, I haven't frozen up again.

I have a Sapphire 9800 Pro, not overclocked. What do you think is the problem with it? The fan runs, I can see that. Is there a program designed to monitor GPU temperature?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
good morning
we need your complete specs of the machine, psu-fans-age, ect. bios version?
are all the fans spinning? video--power supply--case?
download sandra -- it will help you with the specs
post back

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.