Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Yes, I'm brand new here and I've joined because of well...just read the title of the thread.

Yes, for some unknown reason my Dell Dimension 8400 will not completley turn on. This only started happening today, after school in fact. This morningit was perfectly fine. The only thing that i did out of the ordinary was turn the entire computer off and leave the power bar on rather than just putting it into standby (which is what we usualy do). now, all i get when i attempt to turn it on is its powerlight turned orange and the fan making a lower noise than usual. the screen is on (but black of course), the speakers are on and the modem and wirless router are both working as usal as well.

My computer is about a year old and has no history of this type of thing. It did however blue screen on me about a week ago when i was trying to open a program (it said that the CPU was stuck in a perpetual loop).

to make a long story short, i need help and fast. Luckily, we have 2 computers (thats how im writing this you see) but this one im using at the moment is much slower and about 3 years older. My mom needs the newer one to do report cards next week and my Dad will be comming home from vaction in a couple days and he uses the computer for work everyday.

i'm better than most with software but i hardly know a thing about hardware.

please, please let me know if there's anything that i can do to get it up and working again. Thank you,

Tr0x

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Bad PSU is my initial diagnosis. Try and borrow one if you can and see what happens. I strongly advise you to NOT try turning it on right now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hm, ok then. (is the PSU the power bar? sorry, im not completley up on my lingo). currently, the power bar is still on to power my modem and wirless router. without that i cant get on the internet on this computer :sad:

if it is the the power bar, could i simply use the one on this computer?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, thanks for clearing that up. the only problem with that is that everything else connected to the powerbar (or PSU or whatever...) is working normally, hence the monitor, speakers and modem on as usual. i've just unpluged the actual tower from the power bar to prevent something from happening, if that is whats happend.

anyway, thanks for the prompt help. is there anything else that i could try in the mean time?

P

·
0 Posts
Hello again Trox,

1- Pull out all the ide cables ( image )
2- leave one stick of ram ( image )
3-I dont recommend this if you are not hardware savvy : pull out all the led and switch pins too but it might be a major headache for you to connect them back on. if my memory is not failing me dell connections are easier.
*Make sure you leave the power connection for your motherboard and your videocard ( if it needs a seperate power feed )
connect your keyboard and mouse ( preferably ps2 )

And power it. (if you decided to disconnect the power switch from your motherboard you will need to touch the two pins for power with a conductor such as a screwdriver or pen etc . )

Didnt start ?

Then lets try:

Taking out the battery on the motherboard for 15 minutes. Put it back on and start the computer. Didn't start ? We will need to swap parts then. You will have to find a working stick of ram and install it by itself. Or if you have more than 1 stick of ram try one at a time. Didn't work ? try a different videocard. Cpu might have failed. You might need to try a different working cpu in. I know finding all those spare parts is hard but there is not much we can do right now. Also as ebeckhus said you may have a failing power supply. You will have to try a different working one to spot the problem.

regards.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Tr0x said:
alright, thanks for clearing that up. the only problem with that is that everything else connected to the powerbar (or PSU or whatever...) is working normally, hence the monitor, speakers and modem on as usual. i've just unpluged the actual tower from the power bar to prevent something from happening, if that is whats happend.

anyway, thanks for the prompt help. is there anything else that i could try in the mean time?
I think you are thinking of the power strip. POWER STRIP HERE
The power supply is in the computer where the cord is plugged into the back (inside the computer) PSU= Power Supply Here

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hm, i appreciate the help Purplesky, but im not up to that task atm. and yes, i was definetly mixing up the "power strip" with the PSU. hopefully its just the psu thats screwy and nothing else.

also, im afraid that adjusting the hardware will void my warrenty...i'll try contatcting dell tomorrow.

in the mean time, i'd just like to thank you all for all your help! i'll have an update on my progress tomorrow :sayyes:

P

·
0 Posts
Warranty :)) good point. They will give you a hard time on the phone but yes that should be the first thing you should try if you still have warranty. usually dells are coming with a very short waraanty coverage and people dont buy the extended warranty most of time. Good if you did :)

Good luck and you are very well come. I wish we could have just made it work somehow :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"I wish we could have just made it work somehow :)"

lol, so do i :laugh:

anyway, i'll be contacting dell after school today to see if they could give me a hand. if all else fails there is a local computer tech sort of buisness just down the street who have delt with our problems before.

as of now, i've tried every combination i can think of with my power cable, with and without the power strip. nothing seems to be working. i did however notice a couple green leds turn on inside the actual system. is this a good thing? the fan seems to be working properly as well but as i've mentioned its in a different tone. :dead:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alrighty, i just got off the phone with dell and they were very very helpful. the guy knew exactly what he was talking about. unfourtunatley, the problem still isnt fixed so Dell is sending someone in this week to take a look at it.

thanks again for all of your help! and i'll probably update this again once the guy has come. if you can think of anything else to try please let me know :sayyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.