Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Acer laptop which is about two years old. It started to run slowly and not very efficiently - then the screen started to go blank. Sometimes it goes blank when i am using it or when i am not. . I can see the computer is actually still processing so the whole computer does not shut down. I would be able to reboot and then the computer would be fine again. It started to do this more and more frequently until it was happening every couple of minutes and then my computer stopped booting up and loading software. I took my laptop to a recommended pc repair shot who reinstalled windows (unfortunately). It definitely was running much better and the screen stopped going blank. about 10 days later and the computer is running well still but the screen is starting to go blank again regularly - every 10-20 minutes! is this a virus/software/hardware??? thanks in advance for any help you are able to give me!

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft MVP
7,483 Posts
When the system is operating properly, set a System Restore point.

Then start out by updating all drivers and programs to the latest avalilable version.
Get all drivers from the PC Manufacturer's website, and get the updated programs from the program manufacturer's website. If you cannot find an update for a program older than 2 years, uninstall it.

Then visit Windows Update and get all updates
Then visit Windows Update and get Service Pack 1 (usually under Important Updates). Read these notes for installing SP1: Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center
Then visit Windows Update and get any other available updates

I suggest starting all troubleshooting with the following diagnostic tests. They'll save you a lot of time and heartache if there is a hardware failure, and you'll have the disks on hand in case you need them in the future:
H/W Diagnostics:
Please start by running these bootable hardware diagnostics:
Memory Diagnostics (read the details at the link)
HD Diagnostic (read the details at the link) - Test ALL of the hard drives.
If you find hardware issues, here's a link to the hardware forums: Hardware Support - Tech Support Forum

Also, please run one of these free, independent online malware scans to ensure that your current protection hasn't been compromised: Free Online AntiMalware Resources (read the details at the link)
There are also free, bootable antivirus disks at this link: Free Online AntiMalware Resources - Bootable Disks
If you find malware, here's a link on how to post in the Security Center: NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum
If still unable to determine the problem cause, please provide us with this info (even though you're not having BSOD's): http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...-instructions-windows-7-and-vista-452654.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you. I have run a couple of the virus scans and they didn't find anything. i also updated the drivers but i am still having the problem.
i am now trying to test the hardware and went to the website to test the memory but there aren't clear instructions (at least to me) about how to do it. are you able to help me with it?

·
7,483 Posts
- download the MemTest86+ iso file from here: http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip
- unzip the file by right clicking on it and selecting "Extract All"
- burn the mt420.iso file to a CD using this free program: ISO Recorder
- place the CD in your CD drive and shut down the computer
- Boot the computer and tap the f12 key repeatedly.
- tell the computer to boot from the CD drive
- let the test run until you see it get to 3 passes. If the test starts showing errors, stop the test and post back here.

If it doesn't boot from the CD, then you have to go into the BIOS to change the Boot order. Post over in the hardware forums for further instructions: Motherboards, Bios & CPU - Tech Support Forum

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your help. I have now updated all drivers, run several virus scans (nothing found), ran the hard drive and memory diagnostic tools (no problems). I am still having the problem though.

Here are the BSOD info you requested.....
Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry did not provide this info:
OS -Windows 7
· 32-bit
· was originally installed OS - preinstalled.
· Age of system (hardware) - less than 2 years
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? yes was reinstalled two weeks ago

· CPU?
· Video Card?
· MotherBoard?
· Power Supply - brand & wattage?

· System Manufacturer - ACER
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom) ASPIRE 5536

·
7,483 Posts
Interesting error here:
Event[273]:
Log Name: System
Source: atikmdag
Date: 2011-08-25T14:49:12.196
Event ID: 43029
Task: DAL
Level: Error
Opcode: N/A
Keyword: Classic
User: N/A
User Name: N/A
Computer: User-PC
Description:
Display is not active
Generally followed by this one:
Event[274]:
Log Name: System
Source: atikmdag
Date: 2011-08-25T14:49:12.196
Event ID: 52236
Task: CPLIB
Level: Error
Opcode: N/A
Keyword: Classic
User: N/A
User Name: N/A
Computer: User-PC
Description:
CPLIB :: General - Invalid Parameter
Make sure that the fan is working, that the system is sitting on a hard surface or you're using a cooling pad with it, that you've blown out all vents with canned air (DO NOT use an air compressor or a vacuum cleaner as they can cause damage to the system).

I suspect the ATI video drivers.
First, please try rolling back the drivers to the previous version. To do this, go to Device Manager, expand the Display Adapters category, right click on the ATI device and select Properties.
Then select the Driver tab, then the "Roll back drivers" button and follow the prompts

If that doesn't fix it, then try this driver update: ATI Catalyst

If that doesn't fix it, then I'd have to wonder about hardware problems, so try this procedure:
FurMark download site: FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net
FurMark Setup:
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
Click "Go" to start the test
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
NOTE: Set the alarm to go off at 90ºC. Then watch the system from that point on. If the system doesn't display a temperature, watch it constantly and turn it off at the first sign of video problems. DO NOT leave it it unmonitored, it can DAMAGE your video card!!!
If the temperature gets above 100ºC, quit the test - the video card is overheating.
- Click "Quit" to exit
Please let us know the results of the test(s).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what I have done now. I tried to roll back the drivers but there wasn't anything to roll them back to. I did try the driver update ATI Catalyst and thought it helped but no longer think so.
I then tried the FurMark process but the screen went out a few minutes into it and do not know how to give you any feedback on it since i had to reboot.
The fan on the laptop seems to be running a lot again like it was when i first started to have this problem.
any help on this would be very very appreciated.
thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As soon as I turn the computer on the fan is starting to run loudly again but the computer does not feel hot like it used to. Thanks!

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,389 Posts

·
TSF Team Emeritus
6,147 Posts
Try the test again and watch the temperatures like a hawk. If it goes black again, what was the temperature just before it did?

Also keep this in mind:
usasma said:
If the temperature gets above 100ºC, quit the test - the video card is overheating.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
not sure i understand about what to do with speedfan. i am running it but will it give me a report?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
running the furmark program now and the gpu temp reads 0 C. after 12 minutes. how long should i run this and what info should i give you from it? the speedfan is running and the temps don't go above 70C or so.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
do not use speedfan for temperatures it can be innacurate. Core temp and real temp are better. Speedfan should be for fans only.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
is there anything else i can do to try to find out what the problem is? Thank you!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It happens at different times. Just kept going blank when I started the computer and tried to load google chrome. also after i posted to this site the last two times. it seems to happen more and more. but other times i was updating and adding to my pictures and used the computer for almost two hours and no problems at all....
thanks for any help. the computer is only two years old.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.