Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer stutters when I play music or play a game.
I recently formatted my hard disk and reinstalled Windows Vista Ultimate. (It wasn't stuttering before the reinstall).
I installed vista again on a different hard drive but I have the same problem - it stutters.
My computer:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.40 Ghz
Motherboard: Asus P5N32-E SLI
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
Sound Card: "Sound Max Integrated Digital HD Audio"
RAM: 3 x 1Gb DDR2 800MHz
Hard drive: Western Digital 500Gb SATA
Power supply: 750 Watt Nitrox
DVD drives: 2 x LG Not sure but very modern one has light scribe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same prob on similar machine. I had to re-install vista and now its kinda choppy. The installer takes forever to give me the consent popup. I was thinking bout buying a new Quieter HD anyways so im gonn just downgrade back to XP onto a new HD. im having to many issues with this Vista.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes... Vista is a pain. You need a fast pc to run Vista. You can switch off user account control (and the annoying pop-up reminders that tell you your computer is in danger because account control has been switched off). Vista is a good system, far better thhan XP but it's very different. Take a look here: http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html. You'll find a good tweek guide that should give you a lot of info. I think I found the stuttering problem. I need to install the SATA driver and then make sure DMA mode is enabled. But I've been too lazy. Watch this space, I'll do it this weekend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I mean when I play music or a game the computer acts like a stuck record. But only for a few seconds then it continues as normal for a few minites then stutters again. The reason for the reinstall is that I was playing with Vista's windows recovery environment and decided that it would be a good idea to replace the system files... It only managed to get 60% through the process. Obviously the computer failed to start again after that. I just installed the NVIDIA RAID drivers for my motherboard but that hasn't stopped the stuttering. And I can only find the enable DMA comand on my IDE channel. Now I have no idea how to stop the stuttering.Should I take my PC to a shop to be looked at?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still stuttering but I'm getting closer to finding a solution. Windows failed to load Raid drivers... "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

I reinstalled the RAID drivers twice but it doesn't solve the problem.
Maybe I can install RAID drivers before windows starts?

Here's a snapshot of my device manager:

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have installed a new 320 Gb western Digital Caviar SE whisper drive and installed XP now. i am running my HD with vista right now cuz i cant get internet on my new hd with XP, i cannot get any drivers installed to make the Ethernet controller to work, i have new thread under Drivers for help, thanks guys for the advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.