Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
At startup my XPpro 64 machine momentarily flashes a window just after logging on but it doesn't last long enough for me to see what it's all about. After the flash bootup continues normally and nothing else seems to be affected. This happens for all users.
I've tried to find some bootlogging (free!) program to track down the spirit but with no luck so far.
Anyone with any suggestions, please?
Thanks,
Martin.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding, Jim & Cypher.

I ran Bootvis and got the following error message:

Number of physical drives in the trace file is 0
Trace file has invalid system configuration information

Talk abut pulling at loose threads.....
M

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Huh. That's odd. I found some very old ('04-'07) complaints of that error but no logical conclusion of what actually caused it or a fix. MS did withdraw Bootvis for a while, updated it and re-released so that issue should have been taken care of.

Could be your hardware and Bootvis are not compatible...perhaps the BIOS is handing off its hardware setup in a way that bootvis has problems with.

So, try this instead (you could also uninstall and reinstall Bootvis). Go to 'Start', 'Run'. Type in MsConfig. Open the Boot.ini tab. Arrow down till the greyed out options are available. Check 'Bootlog' and 'SOS'. Reboot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Jim,
I did as you said and XP did its thing. I inspected ntbtlog.txt and found a long list of drivers loaded and drivers not loaded, with many repetitions. I did not spot anything that failed but then I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for!
M

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,227 Posts
Go to Start/Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter. On the Left panel click on System and Application. If you see any events with a Red X (critical) double click it and post the results here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Spunk.funk.
What a surprise!
Under System there were thousands of error messages, all filed under DCOM as source and Local Service or Network Service as user. They seem to be identical in content:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{BC866CF2-5486-41F7-B46B-9AA49CF3EBB1}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Under Application there were four errors under VSS as source and N/A as user:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error:
Writer with name WMI Writer and ID {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0} attempted to subscribe in safe mode.

Also under Application:

Hanging application cpu-z_1.61-setup-en.tmp, version 51.52.0.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

with Application Hang as source and N/A as user.

Now what do you make of that?
M

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Again spunk.funk,
CPU-Z is sorted, but unfortunately the other link did not work. It did however lead down another avenue which eventually led to a Nvidia app (NSVCAPPFLT.EXE) which supposedly is the culprit. BC866CF2-5486-41F7-B46B-9AA49CF3EBB1 refers to it in Registry, but it does not show up in DCOM config. I uninstalled the offending Nvidia driver which reduced the number of error messages, but many still remain.
It seems that the right way of fixing the error is to grant permissions to the file that the SID refers to but I don't know how to find it. BC866CF2-5486-41F7-B46B-9AA49CF3EBB1 shows nowhere in DCOM config.
Any ideas please?
M

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I must admit that this perhaps the most boring topic after knitting patterns so I'll also abandon this thread. When the Nvidia forum comes back online I'll try my luck there.
Thanks to all who responded.
Martin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.