Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My computer is leaking... then crashes?

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Steezy Peach 
#1 ·
So I went to sleep last night and left my computer on, knowingly, and when I woke up, my computer was off. I turned it back on to set a few programs up, then it crashed a few minutes later.

The computer boots just fine. After I got home, I turned the computer back on, and it stayed on for half an hour. Again, it starts up fine, but crashes later on.

After I unplugged everything from it, I moved it and saw a puddle under it... of water or cooling fluid. Opened the case, looked at the bottom and saw a little bit of fluid around the power supply.

Everything else looks dry; if anything got wet, then the computer wouldn't be working right? Everything loaded up fine,so I assume there was no damage other than the power supply. It wasn't very wet, but there was a good amount on the bottom.

How did my cooling system break? Since my computer crashes (no viruses) is my power supply broken?

A few things..
-I wouldn't doubt if the computer was way too overheated..
-I leave my computer on 24/7 for a program to run (a bot for a game) which runs with java
-My computer hasn't been turned off in.. 2 months? Around there, the computer is busy 24/7.

It's somewhat obvious, but does a leak normally happen from the situation I am in? How do I fix this, and how much does this generally cost?
__
TL;DR Ran computer 2 months straight 24/7, comp leaks, turn comp on then it crashes 5-30 mins later, wut do?
__
I have:
-NZXT 120mm watercooler with 120mm fan
-Black Coolermaster HAF912 mid no power
-Xtremegear 800 watt power supply
-Overclock: 10%
-6 GB RAM
-Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz 8M LGA 1366

Every bit of info is nice and appreciated. If I need to list more specs, do say.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Computer crash (no viruses)

water and electronics do not mix well... the leaking water could have easily caused a short, that could in turn crash your computer. If you are fortunate enough that your computer isnt broken, remove the water and replace the leaking coolant system...

#3 ·
Hi Steezy. Am I to assume that your system is liquid cooled? If not, you could have an electrolytic capacitor leaking. If it is greenish liquid from a liquid cooling system, be advised that that stuff is not good to handle. There are some potentially adverse health affects from handling the stuff.

The leak could just be caused by shifting of liquid cooling lines. I would also think that given the fact that you normally don't shut the system down, the heat could be causing the tubing to dry out and get rigid, which normally means one thing....LEAKS.

First let me know if it's liquid cooled and then we'll consider a couple other options.

Good day!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.