Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just received my cyberpowersystems computer and it really sucks. I have an AMD X2 4400 with an nvidia 7800gtx and 2 gigs of corsair ram. but everytime I try and play a game it crashes. reformated my computer, reinstalled all the drivers and now really dont know what to do. everything is update as far as I can tell. HL 2 runs for the most part but sometimes crashes. Battlefied 2 crashes almost all the time. I cannot run anything near high graphics and it is so bad. Please help me somebody I am dying to game.
Note: I when my computer crashes I get a bluescreen that talks about devices and things not working. Last time it suggested I run driver verifier. I tried but am not sure how to use it.
Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
174 Posts
Make sure you got the latest drivers installed for your video card.
Go to www.nvidia.com to get them!

Make sure that the video card is actually enabled in your Device manager (Start/Control Panel/System/Hardware/ ) "Onboard graphics" should be disabled.
That video card you have should play those games with no problem!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks, I think I figured out what was causing the problem though. It appears that my sound card (SB live 24bit) is sharing an IRQ and possibly other resources with my LAN card. I am not sure how to change the IRQs though as in windows XP they cannot be changed normally. I took a look at the bios and saw that I could switch them manually by changing to some kind of manual assignment mode. but i am not sure if i should do this. is it safe? anyone have any ideas?

I disabled the sound card and now all games run perfectly but without sound. I would like to fix that.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would be surprised if an IRQ clash would cause these problems, especially in XP. One of XPs stroing points (along with virtually all of the plug'n'play OS's) is that it dynamically handles IRQs etc so you shouldn't need to worry about clashes etc.

I would guess that your problem is more likely a faulty Soundcard or dodgy Creative drivers. Creative's drivers have always been somewhat less than reliable so it may be worth looking at them as the culprit.

The way to prove this would be to reinstall the soundcard and this time disable the Lan card. If all works fine then I'm wrong and you're going to have to speak to the lan or soundcard manufacturer to determine if there is a way of forcing an IRQ on to the card. If the games start misbehaving again then you need to speak to Creative or at least visit their website to get the latest available drivers. It may also be worth making sure you've got the latest version of DirectX (9.0c) installed.

Tinribs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.