Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a C.D. and wanted to upload it to iTunes and put it on my iPod, but it would not load. I thought, "Oh, it must have a security thing." So I tried it in a C.D. player. It worked. I tried once more with the computer, and it failed. The driver shows up. But there is no C.D. I even tried another C.D. to see if it was just the one I had bought, but it wasn't. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Hi lol_alex_lol30 and welcome to TSF:wave:

I can help you with some basics, but you will need to check further to get all the data you need, as I don't upload to iTunes.

I'm assuming you bought an audio CD. I'm also assuming that iTunes would like to see MP3 audio files....You will need to find that out. This though, is true. When you burn an audio CD from music files, those files are most likely in the form of WAV on your harddrive. They are burned onto the CD with a .cda extension and are named track 1, track 2, etc. The song names are not shown on the CD if you view it with Windows Explorer.

Extracting songs from an audio CD to harddrive is called ripping the song. Songs end up on your harddrive in the form of "songname.wav". songname will be Track1, Track2, etc. and you will have to rename each to have the actual song title associated with the song. WAV files are quite large and about 24 songs is the maxium that you can burn onto an audio CD.

Mpeg level 3 (MP3) is a compression specification that can be used to make much smaller audio files. A 20,000,000 (20 meg) WAV file will compress into a MP3 file that is about 2 meg or less. A file that is 10 to 11 times smaller than the WAV file. I'm sure you can appreciate the fact that small files upload much faster than very large ones. Also you can put about 240 mp3 files on a CD, but only about 24 wav files. You could also appreciate that your ear can't tell the difference between the sound of a wav file and a mp3 file when played.

Most players will play either mp3 or wav. The dvd player connected to your TV will probably play mp3 songs. New players will, older ones might not. Most players cars will not play mp3 songs, so you will need to burn audio cd's from wav files.

There are lots of programs on the web that will manipulate song files. I use 'CDEX' to rip audio files. I use 'Wav to MP3 encoder' to compress .wav files to .mp3 files. I use 'MP3toWAV' to convert back to wav. If you want to burn an Audio CD for your car, convert your .mp3 files to .wav and burn them as an audio CD.

If you want to get serious about audio files, you might want to download and use Cool96. It is free and can be used to really do a lot of work on .wav audio files. You can filter out noise, add silence at the beginning and end of files. Increase/Decrease the amplitude, and much much more.

You can get cool96 at this link:
http://un2sg4.unige.ch/athena/html/tools.html

I'm sure I have told you more than you wanted to know, but, what the heck. The more you know, the better you will like yourself.:grin:

Best regards,
Mack1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normally, I do not encounter problems when ripping the song. I just put the CD in and use iTunes. The problem is my CD Drive. It is not functioning at all. I've tried other Audio CDs. I've tried game CDs, but none of them work at all. My CD Drive is listed there. But, it does not function.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Hi lol_alex_lol30,

From your first post, it wasn't clear that NO cd would work in the drive.
That being the case, I like both of Coolfreak's suggestions.

If his suggestions don't work, try this. Open your computer case and reseat the data and power cable to the CD drive. You'd be surprised how many times this solves the problem. Be sure to touch the bare metal case before touching anything inside the computer to discharge any static electricity.

Best regards,
Mack1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.