Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescently reformatted my sons PII 233. After I got Windows XP installed, the computer froze. I hit the reset button to restart the computer but when I did, thats when the computer started to melt!!!......no not really..But this is what happened:
As soon as I turn on the computer, I can hear the hard drive turn on and the case fans start spinning, then instead of the normal single "beep" when the system posts, it continues to beep every 2 seconds or so. I'm thinking that my system is fried. I dont know the motherboard manufacturer so please dont ask. I cant even get into the bios because it just keeps beeping. I triple checked to make sure that everything is connect properly. PLEASE HELP

S

·
0 Posts
OK you don't know the motherboard manufacturer?

On the first screen you will see upon bootup there will be a string of numbers on the bottom left of the page.

Something like

2A59L-XXXX-XXX
Or
51-1506-XXXX-XXXX
Or
12/09/1999 i440LX

Write down these numbers exactly as you see them and post them here..

Also try reseating the ram and the video card...:D

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
STOP STOP STOP

:no: Check the Minimum requirements on XP

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/techinfo/deployment/planning/default.asp

you are KILLING yourself....I am running a Celeron 333 with 128MB at work and it is SLOW....dont even try it on a 233 it is not worth it...you will typ a letter and go eat lunch for it to show on the screen...:angry2:

Microsoft sales line is...

XP on a NEW PC....a 233 should get Win98 and stay there...

S

·
0 Posts
Intel Pentium (or compatible) 233 MHz or higher processor Intel Pentium II (or compatible) 300 MHz or higher processor.
64 MB of RAM 128 MB (4 GB maximum) of RAM
2-GB hard disk with 650 MB of free disk space (additional disk space required if installing over a network) 2 GB of free hard disk space
VGA-compatible or higher display adapter SVGA display adapter and Plug and Play monitor
Keyboard, mouse, or other pointing device Keyboard, mouse, or other pointing device
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive (required for CD installations) CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive 12x or faster
Network adapter (required for network installation) Network adapter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a hardware problem

listen, it has nothing to do with windows XP. i've had XP running on this system for the past 6 months without any problem. so i know its not XP. Plus, the computer wont even post. so I cant find out anything about the motherboard cause nothing ever shows up on the screen. as soon as i turn the darn thing on, it starts to beep................beep.....................beep.........................beep.............................beep.........................beep' so, it HAS to be a hardware problem. I just want to know if this has happened to anyone else

THANKS Y'ALL

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
really.....thanks speedo....

Havent looked at the specs since the rollout party in OCT and thats what they were stressing then.....And I still stand behind the comment....why put it on such a slow machine....

With that said....

webtheman....are there any other devices instaslled....remove everything...except the video and MB stuff...even try removing the memory...power it up what does it do??? If you can trow the P/Supply into a diffrent box...same results. If the Psupply is good and the board still beeps.....beeps....beeps with all cards but the video and no memory ....you have....bad cpu or bad board both which consodering how old arent worth replacing...

If bare bones system works then peice by peice put the items back in...till you find the culprit.....make sure the card/memory is seated and the Mother board is not grounded out....

allitle leg work and you have your answer

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
A single beep followed by a 2 - 3 second pause and no video at all is a POST indication of a memory failure. If you have multiple chips try putting only one in the slot at a time and see if you can isolate the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.