Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My 1TB WD is not working anymore.. Pls. HELP!

19K views 26 replies 2 participants last post by  raptor_pa 
#1 ·
Dear All..

I will explain what's happened with me step by step as i lost my hard and it's not working anymore. :sigh:

My hard is WD 1TB (Model: WD10000H1U-00)
My OS. WinXp

- I was having 3 drivers (333 + 333 + 333 GB) let's say (D, E, F)

- I use this hard for past 1 year

- I have more than 800 GB media, files and documents.

- I have bitdefender antivirus software it was scan my hard last time then i accept to delete whole viruses files while the programs founds in (System Volume Information) folder in E & F. so it's already deleted.

- I restart then i can't log into my E & F drivers. it was give me this msg (E: is not accessible, the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable)
so i try many programs (recovery or hard disk tools).. nothing change.

- Drive D was working properly.

- I try to open the cover and assemble the hard as internal SATA as i heard from many forums and people as this easy way and more practical to recover my drivers.

- After i connect the hard and try with 3 Pc's it's not coming in the BIOS.

- I cover it again to use it as a USB and hope to copy my D to other place to try by safe way. IT'S NOT WORKING ANYMORE :(.. it's just give me new storage in the corner of time and date. no anything in my computer or disk management. just i can click safe to remove and the name is (WD) only also in Device manager there's (removable storage is USB) also in hard drive (WD) only.

- i try to connect it by SATA again. but it's same my BIOS don't found it. NEVER!

with 2 PC's which supported with SATA.

Yesterday i was try (TestDisk) program with USB situation. it's complete analyzes "quick search" but didn't find any lost or recover partition.

So sorry to explain too much..

Hope this information will help to go for next step if you have help for me.

awaiting your reply.

Thanks

Saud

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
- test disk see the drive as unknown drive and start testing after testing finish (for 8-9 hours) is give (no any partition is recover or lost found) no result at all.

- SATA connected

- yes the drive is spin up

- disk management didn't show the drive at all with internal (SATA) or USB connected

#6 · (Edited)
it's WD My book 1 TB
this is the model no. WD10000H1U-00
http://support.wdc.com/product/install.asp?groupid=110&lang=en

also i will write what's in the hard sticker:

MDL: WD10EACS - 00ZJB0
DATE: 29 JAN 2008
DCM: HARCHV2ABB

DRIVE PARAMETERS:
LBA 1953525168
1.0TB

WWN: 50014EE2ABAF2F45

WD 10EACS
WD CAVIAR GP

is this what you asking for?.. i hope so..

thanks for your replying

#8 ·
1st thing.. thank you for continues helping me..

I already do that.. connect it to SATA, making sure from BIOS it's legacy mode and the BIOS didn't show it or discover it..
i feel its spin up when i power on the PC.. normally voice.

actually i post this thread early.. http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/urgent-is-wd-lifeguard-tool-is-trusted-440178.html

what you think about WD lifeguard tool and may i get this step to setup the hard driver with this program? can i recover my data later?

thanks

#9 ·
Recovering data after configuring the drive is possible, but les likely than in the condition it is in now, before you can set it up, it has to be recognized by BIOS, if BIOS can't see the disk, it is a hardware issue, whether it is witht he drive or the configuration of the drive is what we have to figure out. What is the model of your motherboard, the hard drive is SATA2, so you need to make sure first thing that your MoBo supports SATA2, not just SATA1.

#10 ·
I already tried to setup my drive in WD Lifeguard tool (by USB), after finished the setup is seems losting the hard again because each time when i start lifeguard is give me this messege..

Data Lifeguard Tools has found that the following drive is not set up for use in your system
Driver model: WD
Position: SCSI ID 0
Would you like to prepare this drive for use in your system?

I will try to assemble my HD into SATA2 MoBo and replying what's happened.

Thanks

#13 ·
It looks like this is a physical failure -
This message from Lifeguard-
Driver model: WD
Does it say Drive or Driver? ( seems like a small point but they are different things. )
If it says drive, then you probably have a physically failed HD, not something that can be fixed by the user. This kind of message on WDs often indicates a firmware failure, or a head/preamp failure - something causing the drive not to read the Service Area tracks and allowing it to initialize correctly. This would need pro recovery. Price probably start9ing out around $750 - but depening on the actual issue it could be twice that.

#15 ·
Please wait to open all pictures :)

after opening the program.. Data Lifeguard tool (from WD)

i choose to see this information:

next

then i go back and choose setup my hard drive:

then i go back again.. and choose Utilities >> Partition Unallocated Space:

After all of this it's seems nothing happen and there's no new thing. because when i start the program again and again it's start from Zero.

hope this will help

thanks

#17 ·
It looks like a firmware failure, the drive is being recognized as a 2TB device, yet it is a 1TB drive. Best bet is to return the drive under warranty. Have you run the Data lifguard tools when the disk was connected internally to a SATA port? Eliminate the USB housing as an issue.

#20 ·
it's under warranty till Jun - 2010
do you think they will accept it if i already connect it to SATA?
they only mention about void warranty if internal hard is opening. nothing for external box!

everything is fine with the drive (stickers, screws, board and everything)..

anyway they don't provide data recovery service just they have some trusted companies to do that while it's not in my area (United Arab Emirates, Dubai) so please advice me before doing next step (shipping for replacement)

Thanks

#21 ·
Basically the question becomes, do you want the data back or the disk replaced under warranty. There are some recovery companies in UAE - just not sure exactly where. They could probably get your data back, the downside would be the warranty would be void and the cost is not going to be cheap. If the data is easily replaced or of low value, then I'd RMA the drive for replacement.

#22 ·
Sure i want the data back..
Even if i lost my HD i will buy other one and really i don't care about WD warranty just to replacement because this driver price arround (500 AED) it's like 140$. so i will buy new one (2TB Mirror :grin: maybe 250$) but i care about data..
I hope it's not so expensive.
So advice me about that companies in UAE. if you know their numbers, names, websites or anything.

thanks

#23 ·
Your best bet would be google, I just remember a discussion on a forensic forum maybe a year ago about a couple companies in UAE doing forensics and recovery - one was a startup so they may not have even survived. You can always ship the drive to them, Most of the drives we get are shipped in - our business does not depend on local people as with most recovery companies. Probably looking at $1000 - $2000 USD depending on what the issue is. If it is firmware or logical it might be a bit less.

#24 ·
So.. there's no any hard repair program to fix my drive!?
in google there's many people talking about fixing is possible if the drive is shows in even USB well i know my drive is didn't show with SATA internal in the BIOS but it's show in USB as a external storage under this name (WD) only.
but if you really know about any professional repair program can help me to setup my hard drive or even fix the sectors then i will use recovering data programs! because 1000$ - 2000$ is really SO expensive :(

I really appreciate all this help from you raptor_pa, many thanks for your kindness.

thank at all for all.. if anybody have any idea for some program (repair, fix) please let me know even to my e-mail saudarts@gmail.com

Regards

#27 ·
Have you tried running the WD diagnostics, also Datalifeguard, but not the disk setup like you have above. You can download the iso for a bootable CD from the WD support site. The fact that lifeguard is identifyiing the device as a 2Tb nameless device pretty much indicates something in the firmware is bodged. You might get away with a PCBoard swap if you get very lucky and parameters are close. You will need to find an exact match drive to try. Post a clear closeup picture of the component side of the the PC Board of the drive so we can see the shipset, a marvel chipset reduces the chances for success unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.