·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's my system specs.

AMD Athlon Xp 2100+ 1.8 ghz
1 GB Crucial Memory
80 Gb 7200 RPM Maxtor H/d
Soundblaster Soundcard (dont know what kind...lost the box, too lazy to remove and look at right now)
Win Xp Pro

Im using Winamp 3 to play my music

And the music Skips when I play it....every minute or so...and random intervals throughout any song.

·
Registered
376 Posts
First, grab the latest drivers for your soundcard. You'll need to take a look in the Device Manager or open the case and look at the card in order to determine which drivers to download and install.

Make sure your Windows is up to date with Windows Update. DirectX 9.0b and some other patches might fix the sound issues.

Is this happening when you listen to music on other media players, such as Windows Media Player? Check that out. Winamp 3 has many bugs in it. I highly recommend completely uninstalling it and going with Winamp 2.91 Lite, which you can download here:
Winamp 2.91

Are you playing CD's or mp3's? Try both. If it's only skipping with mp3's, but not CD's, it's likely that your mp3 encoder is messing up. Poor mp3 encoding usually produces "hiccups" in the mp3's when they're played. Does the skipping sound like hiccups?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, the drivers are Up to date.

I have direct x 9...

Umm, Ill try it in Windows Media Player.

It doesnt sound like hiccups, it just skips prolly about 2-5 secs each time it happens....maybe 1 or 2 words even...

Ill try windows media player...and let u know...hold on..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol..nothing skips....it is winamp 3... :(

I like winamp 3 tho....much better skins...lol...darn...

I guess Ill get 2.91.... :(....*sigh*....

thanks..

[Edit] IT JUST SKIPPED IN WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER!!!

HELP...STILL HAPPENS (BUT HAPPENS LESS)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Are there any device conflicts in the audio section of the device manager?

It's really sounding as though this is a software issue. Try the Winamp 2.91 Lite and see if it works a lot better.

If you want to get adventurous, you could completely uninstall Winamp 3, delete it's registry keys so you can have a clean install, and then download and install the new Winamp 5 beta. This has cool features from Winamp 3 that you'd enjoy, but is more compact and streamlined with less bugs like Winamp 2.
Winamp 5 Beta Download

I'm thinking that you'll like Winamp 5. Try it out and give us all a report on it.
:D

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I have an older system in the corner with the VIA chipset that has an issue like that. Whenever the PCI bus is in heavy use, the sound skips. It's a PCI interrupt latency issue, and AFAIK, there has never been a total fix for it.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Mine was with an Intel P3, so you have a different chipset. I'd do a Google search in the groups and see if others are having the issue with your specific VIA chipset.

·
Registered
376 Posts
VIA chipsets and Soundblasters hate each other!
In my old Athlon / VIA system, I grabbed a Philips Acoustic Edge PSC706 for $50. This Philips card is comparable to the Audigy from Creative, and performs EAX better than the Creative card.

I do know where you can find a PCI Latency Patch, which may vey likely help your issue:
VIA PCI Latency Patch
The Memory Interleave enabler on that page is quite nice at improving performance.

Also, you'll want to install the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers. This might even fix your problem without needing the patch:
VIA 4-in-1 v4.49
This site also has lots of support for VIA-based motherboards. They'll have the best and newest information regarding the VIA / Soundblaster issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.