Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Music CD's won't play, help please. When I load a CD it autoruns and when I chose to play it in either Media Player 10 or Real Player it doesn't play.

In Media Player 10 I get the following error message:

The selected file has a scheme that is not recognised by Windows Media Player, but the player may still be able to play it. Because the extension is unknown by the player you should be sure that it comes from a trustworthy source.

When I click on Yes (for all tracks) I get the following message:

Cannot play the file. Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is on another computer, verify that you are connected to the network. If you typed a path, verify that it is correct. If the problem persists, the server might not be available.

The audio tracks are all visible in Windows Explorer and I can play wav files from a CD and system sounds and radio play OK.

These are commercially produced CDs that play OK on other computers and I’ve tried several.

DVDs play OK, including sound.

I've tried re-installing Media Player and don't know what to try next.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your help. I downloaded and installed the codec pack. No difference, CDs still don't play and I get the same error messages as before.

I'm tempted to try downloading yet another player and see if that works but I'd really like to crack the problem with my curent setup.

Incidentally, great country you live in. We drove around the Eastern half a couple of years ago and plan to explore the West next year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, but I gave in and installed Quintessential Player and that works fine. Thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.