Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been a real pain. This is a kit build that has been running mostly fine until mid Nov when it wigged out. I've since revived the beast but with continuing issues.The system:
M3N78 Pro w/bios rev 1003,AMD Phenom 9500 (2.2 Ghz),4 Gb Corsair DDR2,Ultra LSP 750w PSU,XFX 9600 GSO,Audigy 2,Running XP w/SP3.

When the system wigged it started with programs just shutting down. Then it progressed rapidly into a good POST and boot....until you got to the welcome screen. Got the quick blue screen with white lettering that you would normally see with a memory dump. Except it would only flash up onscreen for about 1/2 second and then reboot....and would continue to do so until I killed power. I removed the 2 hard drives and hooked them up to another PC...the file system was gone off of the boot drive (IDE) and the other drive (SATA) had only 150gb of the 500gb total size allocated. I started over with another drive for boot and got it up and running again. Updated the bios to a release that is supposed to offer more "stability". I changed the battery on the mobo. Checked the psu and even swapped it out to verify. The PC is on a power strip connected to a UPS...so I don't think a spike is/was an issue. Now it takes upwards of 6 boots to finally get to windows. One of the problems is that sometimes the settings in the bios get reset without my doing. I've gone back through step by step in the manual to check and yes,the bios update was successful. I'm at a loss and I'm having a hard time resisting the baseball bat in the corner......BTW this is the 3rd Asus board I've had and I am NOT IMPRESSED!!!!!!

RES

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Can you get in to the bios to check the temperatures and voltages? If so, do that and report them back here. On the battery issue, I had one (only one all these years) Asus board that had that issue, and finally I realized the battery was not making good contact with the board, so after some work finally got it seated well enough to work for me. That board was an older model than you have.

BTW, just to clear up about ASUS boards, that is about all I use anymore except for some Gigabyte boards. The rest are not worth packing home in many instances.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I would be most suspicious of the Ultra PSU. Not good quality.
I've used several hundred Asus mobo's , although never an AMD platform, and have yet to have any major issues with them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The temps @ boot are usually about 42-44 degrees Celsius....Voltages are what they've been since I started running this animal. Never tried to mess with those at all. The PSU issue was tested out with an Antec 500w and still had the same issues. I don't have a digital PSU tester...just a couple of plug in styles that report all is well with BOTH PSUs. One peculiar note in all of this...swapped out the 9600 GSO (XFX Fatl1ty----wow) for BFG 8600 GTS and so far...knock wood...all is quiet on the boot up front. After install...quick post..quick check on the drives on board..right to the boot up and welcome screens without a hitch. I will find out on the first boot on Thursday if this still holds true. Either way I will let you know.

RES

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.