Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not only Firefox but Chrome and Avast Secure Browser shows multiple instances of being open in the Task Manager, Firefox says 5 are open and Chrome is 22 and Avast is 12. They show usage of my CPU and memory to the point that I can hardly move my mouse and any precision movement is impossible. Is it possible to make it stop doing this? If not what about it slowing my PC down. I have I7 8700, 32GBs Ram Win 10 is on an SSD and I use an Nvidia 1080TI. I should not have the slow down issue.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
All modern browsers work this way. Having multiple instances is how things get sandboxed from each other (for one thing) and this should not cause your system to slow to a crawl.

What's showing in Task Manager as far as what resource is the bottleneck? [Memory, CPU, Network, Disk] And, when sorted on that column, what is showing up as the top hog?

· Moderator , Security Team
2,430 Posts

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Then the browsers and their memory usage are clearly not the cause.
Yup, but if a system is dragging something in Task Manager should be showing high usage in the majority of cases.

Looking at what's at the top of the list under the category "being hogged" generally points to the culprit.

If that's not the case then I'd start looking at OS repair options.

· Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Not only Firefox but Chrome and Avast Secure Browser shows multiple instances of being open in the Task Manager, Firefox says 5 are open and Chrome is 22 and Avast is 12. They show usage of my CPU and memory to the point that I can hardly move my mouse and any precision movement is impossible. Is it possible to make it stop doing this? If not what about it slowing my PC down. I have I7 8700, 32GBs Ram Win 10 is on an SSD and I use an Nvidia 1080TI. I should not have the slow down issue.
Do you also have Avast or AVG antivirus installed, besides Avast Secure Browser? What version of Windows 10 are you running? There is a known compatibility issue between certain versions of Avast and AVG with Windows 10 v1903 and 1909. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1909#322msgdesc for details. If you're not on 1909 yet, now is a good time to upgrade, but make sure to uninstall or update Avast or AVG antivirus first, IF you have them installed.

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,780 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but if you want to "consolidate" the multiple Firefoxes>about:config>browser.tabs.remote.autostart> change to false. About 20 versions back FF tried to "improve" the app, but it not only hogs RAM, but also can cause FF to hang on after closing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.