Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
adding win98se to win2k pro, adv server dual boot set up
Here's the deal. I'm in an MCSE class at night, I get evaluation copies of win2k O/Ss (120 day limited). I clear my H/D of my home built and set up 4- 2GB partitions c: is pri active with win2k pro now, d: is adv server, now I want to put Win98se back in to stay permanent. I start with the boot disk for98 but the O/S only wants to go to C: (it is FAT) where there is not enough space even if it would be ok with pro there. Is there a way to get it to load in another partition than the C: primary? It's no big deal to kill the pro but I just want to "Know". Thanks
:confused:
Please excuse me for not putting this in the forum first.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Welcome to the board,

Its possible but its defiantly beyond the scope of a reply posting board, lots of variables to content with ....

Basically its easier to install the older (dumb) software first because later editions to the software know how to recognize the older versions and incorporate them into the boot-loader programs...

That being said briefly what your trying to accomplish would be to hide the current partitions so that the 98 install doesn't see them, install the 98, then restore your boot-loader program that the 98 install will more than likely overwrite, then un-hide the partitions, boot to whichever one controls the boot-loader program and manually add the Win98 to it .... thats very very basic it gets pretty involved once you get into it ... I would recommend to just install older first from now on...

Sorry I could not be of more assistance on this one ... maybe someone else has some ideas on how to do this...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many Thanks

An instructor had said to install the Win 2k first. Something about how it would set up the boot ini for the multi boot config, I just didn't consider at the time that win2k didn't have the DOS base for win98, I'll pull win2k pro off c: now, I'll get back on line when done. Enough said I learned from it.
Thanks again! Top Tech
My Regards to Texas
TCH:sleep:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.