Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all,

It's been a while since I posted, which is good since I haven't had any problems lately.
I just bought a brand new laptop (HP Pavillion dv7-3060US) and I am anxious to dual/triple/quad boot it, however I've got quite a few questions before I do so. It currently has the default OS of Windows 7 Home Premium, and its a 64-bit dual core processor.

1) Will XP (32-bit) work on my processor? I know 32 vs. 64 is a bit tricky but so far I've been able to install most 32bit software without much trouble. I have read about Windows XP x64 but first I'd have to buy Win XP Professional, THEN upgrade to 64bit of that, just to have XP back the way I want it.

2) Can I restore GRUB when I dualboot with Win 7? I know from past experiences that windoze likes overwriting the MBR, and I usually restore GRUB but win 7 is newer and might use a different system?

3) Can OS X or OS X Leopard work on an AMD processor or is that only Intel?

4) This is my major question. This computer didn't come with recovery discs, but instead has a 20GB recovery partition. I used the built-in HP Program to burn a physical copy of my recovery software (I'm old-school like that) and it came up to 4 DVD's. The only thing that stopped me from wiping and dual booting the very first night was the trepidation of wiping out the recovery partition. On my sister's laptop, I had wiped HER recovery partition and it was a pain in the *** to find drivers when she needed to restore drivers and stuff. I'd prefer not to have the same problem with me. Long story short: Is it safe for me to wipe out my hard drive completely including the recovery partition? And also, do the recovery discs have absolutely EVERYTHING that came installed with my computer? I want a total fail-safe just in case shi* hits the fan. I will eventually (when I get time) I will make a total HDD image.

I know I will be told to google the answer but I don't think 7 has been out long enough for there to be lots of comprehensive guides on how to do a multiboot system. I'm not concerened about Vista or otherwise, what I want to do is XP/7/Fedora, but if XP doesn't work I might not even worry about it and just do a simple 7/Fedora 12 dual boot for now, until I can figure out if I want to use OS X Leopard (if it works) on this comp.

Thanks for any help, and if I come up with any other questions I'll post em.

Cheers,
L337killa07

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Visiting Expert | Microsoft Sup
4,026 Posts
Hello and sorry that you had to bump.

Unfortunately, I know very little about OS X. I'll answer what I can.

1. As far as I know, nothing will bar a 64-bit processor from running a 32-bit OS. The other way around is where you have problems. Consider 32-bit a downgrade from 64-bit. 64-bit is described as being "crisper" - graphics and speed. Long story short, a 64-bit processor can run a 32-bit operating system.

2. You can restore GRUB, I'm just unsure of how to go about it. If you've done it before with a previous OS, it should be the same method.

3. I have seen OS X on an AMD processor before. I'm not sure how to go about it; I've only ever installed it on an Intel. I know that there used to be some confusion with this. It looks as though it can be done, but may cause massive headaches based on the info here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=115715

4. First off, you won't be told to google the answer (this time :grin:). I can't blame you for your doubt on Windows 7 information.

The recovery partition has everything: all pre-installed software, drivers, etc. The back-up discs should be just fine, just KEEP THEM SAFE. And, if drivers are what you're worried about, they can all be found here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=4062308&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20%BB
Just in case.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
You can use easybcd to manage your boot issues.
It says it works with W7 and Linux as well as XP and Vista etc.

I also found out yesterday that it has the ability to move the boot loader to a different drive if necessary,

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Visiting Expert | Microsoft Sup
4,026 Posts
You can use easybcd to manage your boot issues.
It says it works with W7 and Linux as well as XP and Vista etc.

I also found out yesterday that it has the ability to move the boot loader to a different drive if necessary,
I am a HUGE fan of EasyBCD. I've only used it under Windows, though; didn't know that there were versions for Linux as well. It alone made it possible for me to triple-boot 7, Ubuntu and OS X.

Thanks for the input.

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
I didnt realize it either until two days ago when I was reading the current updated documentation of it while trying to answer a different question.
Until then I had only toyed with it on my XP|Vista setup.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pat and DT, thanks very much for your input. I tried to resize my partition using Partition Wizard and install Fedora 12 on the remaining space, but since my HDD already has 4 partitions (my main C:, I: (System), a recovery partition, and an *HP_TOOLS partition), it wont let me go any further or make that free space usable.

I won't get bogged down into details, but long story short I'm going to wipe the HDD completely (yes I backed up my data), and call it a day. I know about keeping recovery discs safe: I still have a set from our very FIRST Mac (back in '92), so that's not a worry for me.

Although I do want to mention one thing: I read on another site (will post link later tonight) that if I delete my HP recovery partition, I will also lose the ability to recover my computer using the Recovery Disks, since they somehow work in tandem with the recovery partition...is this true? Do I risk a total lemon on my less than 1-month old laptop if I decide to fool around with partitions?

Thanks for any advice guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.