Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a new computer, and decided to forego the DVD drive and drag the one out of my old one. But I've come upon a problem (and boy am I mad about it! Sodding region encoding, anyways!)

Most of the DVDs that I own are encoded for the U.S.A., but my wife's from brazil, and we have quite a few titles encoded for that region. With my old player (computer's about 4-5 years old) it wasn't a problem, I just had to click a confirmation whenever the region needed to change, and I'd be off.

Now that I've install the old DVD-ROM, I went on the net to find some DVD Player software, and I'm getting all tangled up. I have one that will only let me switch like 2 times before it's permanent, a few that won't let me switch at all.

Then to make me madder I read all about the Phase II drives that make the encoding part of the hardware. I swear, those industry people should be shot for this. Another topic, though. :)

My question is: what would be the cheapest, easiest way to get my computer to play 2 regions of DVDs. I know I'll have to buy a player, but will I have to buy a 2nd drive and have it encoded differently (or would that work? Would WinXP jerk me around and let me only have 1 region on my PC?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and any recommendations on good-quality players (software) to get?

Thanks....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.