Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know how to tell if both processors are functioning on a system?

I dxdiag'ed my system and it shows that there are two processors but the mhz are at 790. Under system properties the mhz are 796.

windows xp
2 pentium 3's 800mhz
256mb ram

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
To just see if they're are functioning, try the Task Manager.
(I don't know which XP you're running though, and I'm only single-CPU'ed on XP, so the following info is for NT4, which appears to work the same....)

While logged onto XP Pro, hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE. Now click the "Task Manager" button. From there, click the Performance tab. If both CPU's are functioning, there will be two CPU Usage graph boxes at the top, otherwise there will be one graph with (I assume) two lines. The CPU's will probably track each other pretty closely as you launch some different apps.

If there's only one graph, see if you have an option for View- CPU History- "One Graph Per CPU", and select that. The other option (i.e. One For All) might be interesting too, you could try that also.

If only one CPU was recognized, then View won't give you two History options, so that would be a clue that you have something wrong.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

p.s. Had to wait until I got onto my dual, to verify this works, it has dual PII/450's on NT4.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.