Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a samsung YP-Z5 (4GB) MP3 player, expecting it to work as soon as i connect it to USB port which is 2.0 as required. According to the user guide I should just get the Add New Hardware dialogue and have XP recognize the device as "Samsung YP-Z5" immediately. However, XP is finding an "MTP Device" and then giving me the below error message:
Code:
There was a problem installing this hardware:

MTP Device

An error occurred during the installation of the device

Access is denied.
I have tried resetting the player, resetting the computer, deleting from device manager and starting over. I found a thread that suggested I use Windows Media Connect, but I get "Windows Media Connect could not be started. It might not be installed correctly." which I suspect has something to do with the MTP thing.

I'm not really sure where to go from here, appreciate your help.

P.S. The player is for my younger brother's birthday and he ain't happy with Samsung and Microsoft right now :(

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi megamind5005

I'm no expert on the latest mp3 gadgets, but I'm fairly sure that you'd need to have the Windows XP computer up-to-date with the Critical Updates through the present (SP2 is a pre-requisite), and a recent version of Windows Media Player installed.

Once you are certain that XP is up-to-date with it's patches, if your version of Windows Media Player is older than version 11 (the current release) download and install version 11 - Windows Media Connect is now integrated into WMP 11.

See if that does it. If not - here is a FAQs and Troubleshooting page for Windows Media Connect --- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/devices/wmconnect/faq.aspx#2_1

[Once and a while, a USB device vendor will recommend installing specialized drivers before plugging the new USB device in. Samsung's instructions said that this wasn't necessary?]

Best of luck
. . . Gary

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.