Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was given a Palm m125, and downloaded the desktop utility for it into my Win98 machine. The file was from www.freewarepalm.com, a zip file called PalmDesktop_401_ENG.zip . Once I downloaded it, I unzipped and installed it.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/utilities.shtml

Anyway, everything else seems to be working fine, ~knock on wood~ , but the Palm utility won't open, it just says "the MSVCIRT.DLL file is linked to missing export MSVCRT.DLL:[email protected]@Z" And in a second small window with a big red X, it says "C:\program files\palm.exe -- a device attached to the system is not functioning"

Normally I would just search the net for the error message and find a fix that way, but this time all I found out was a) this is an old and very common problem, and b) there are as many cures for it as for hiccups, all different.

Help, anyone?

:4-dontkno

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
This should fix your issue

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type SFC, and then click OK.
3. In the System File Checker dialog box that appears, click Extract one file from installation disk.
4. In the Specify the system file you would like to restore box, type Msvcrt.dll, and then click Start.
5. In the Restore from box, browse to your Windows 98 installation CD.

NOTE: If you have an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) installation of Windows 98, the Windows installation files may be stored in the following location:
C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
6. In the Save file in box, type C:\, and then click OK. You receive the following message:
Extract File

The file has been successfully extracted.
Click OK.
7. Repeat steps 3 through 6 but substitute Msvcirt.dll for Msvcrt.dll.
8. Quit System File Checker, and then restart the computer in MS-DOS mode.
9. At the command prompt, type Rename C:\Windows\System\Msvcrt.dll Msvcrt.old, and then press ENTER.
10. Type Rename C:\Windows\System\Msvcirt.dll Msvcirt.old, and then press ENTER.
11. Type Copy C:\Msvcrt.dll C:\Windows\System, and then press ENTER.
12. Type Copy C:\Msvcirt.dll C:\Windows\System, and then press ENTER.
13. Restart the computer.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296551

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.