Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering if any of you have this problem, or know how to solve it.

i have msn messenger installed on my computer (windows 98), and i use it semi-frequently. the problem is, half the time i try to open it, it begins installing! i don't know what is up with this, because obviously, it is already installed. i have tried reinstalling, and it didn't solve the problem. the other half, it opens just fine, and i am signed on within seconds. there seems to be no pattern in when it works and when it does not.

i am not interested in 're-re-reinstalling' to 'see' if it 'fixes.'

thanks.

--lauren

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
this happens to me if i install it and then move the shortcut it puts in start menu>programs

what i have done to eliminate this is to leave the original shortcut, and copy the shortcut to where i like to have it, and then set the original to "Hidden"

this might work for you.

unless it isnt related to moving it in your instance.

~BoB~

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
jgvernonco :: yes, i open it the same way every time. i always open it from start>programs>msn messenger. i also have a shortcut on the desktop which i don't use, but it still does not work.

bob vila :: i think i follow you. i never had a problem with it until i moved MSN messenger from my start up to programs. so, my question is, how do i move it back to the start up w/o reinstalling it? is it possible? and is this really my problem?

--lauren

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i know that if i dont leave one in the folder it wants it in it does this to me..

as far as doing it without reinstalling it, it should take care of itself in about 5 seconds, so i never tried to move it back without reinstalling it, i just stopped deleting the one it wanted there.

i hope this is the same problem you are having.

~BoB~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.