Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know it's been a while, I have started building computers again and This is number three in the last 4 months. I went with this Motherboard for my company for the price tag. I have my own personal comp running MSI board K9A-Platinum AMD Xpress 3200 no problems. This particular Board will not detect the SATA drives whatsoever. I have even went out and bought a new drive thinking I had a DOA drive from newegg. The second drive will not show up ither.

1. I checked the voltages with my voltmeter on the sata plug to the drive. It is OK. Voltage= 3.3, 0, 5.0, 0, 12.1. Five wires all OK.

2. updated the Bios from 1.1 (shipped version) to the latest 1.5. Still no luck.

3. Swapped out SATA data cables. No luck.

4. AMI Bios setting for SATA is set to IDE not RAID becasue of single drive install.

I don't know what else to do. I just was thinking but hope this isn't true. Is there jumpers that relate to the harddrive whether it is SATA or PATA on this Board? Just a thought and I'm going to look it up in the manual, but I have a hard time believing that this NEW board would use anything like that.

Please give me some insight on where to go next before I RMA this Board.

Thanks

CamZL1

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Have you gone into the bios setup menu and enabled the Sata area? Is your board Sata1 compatible or Sata2 compatible? If the drive is Sata2 and the board Sata1, then you have to change the drive jumper on the drive. Also, unhook any IDE drive if you are going to put any OS on a Sata drive.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UDATE:

Tumbleweed. The BIOS is Enable for SATA. In this board if you do not enable sata then the RAID and IDE options Dissapear so yes it is enabled.

It is also a SATA II Board the hard drives are Both Seagate Barracuddas 7200.10 80 GB and
7200.10 160 GB

All jumpers have been tried as SATA 1.5 and SATA 3.0 with no luck in the BIOS recognizing the drives Screen reads:

SATA 1: NOT RECOGNIZED
SATA 2: NOT RECOGNIZED
SATA 3: NOT RECOGNIZED
SATA 4: NOT RECOGNIZED.

Hope this helps and that maybe someone knows the "trick" so I do not have to RMA this Board.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tumbleweed but I RMA'd the board back to newegg. I read more reviews of this board and there is more instances of this so I have to assume there is probably some drive compatablity with the seagates because I Looked on MSI website and they were not on the vendor approved and tested list. I did, to answer your question, have it on IDE and not Raid. That is an option for this board when you enable the SATA and then a new menu comes up allowing the option for RAID or IDE. I set it to IDE and nothing. I'm going back to the Gigabyte AMD690g board that I know works. It should be here next week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.