Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.....so I have opted to use the Classic views in XP and when I DO use the MSCONFIG, I am able to take things out of the start up and life seems to be good, right?

Up until I reboot, anyway. I get this msg. when I restart telling me it is in diagnostic mode and that I need to go in and UNDO what I did.

Why is that? I do NOT want AOL and things like in my startup! How do I get this to change without getting that message?

·
Registered
139 Posts
You have to uninstall AOL and other stuff you don't want. I'm having a hell of a time trying to get rid of Microsoft Messaging service. It keeps coming back, even minutes later. I have to turn it off twice. I even disabled it in msconfig but it's still there!

Anyway, I was successful in deleting MSN. I used Norton Cleansweep to get rid of it. I also used Norton to get rid of Compuserve on my mother's PC. You could try that.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, THAT does suck because I DO want the AIM, but I don't want it in the startup. I was able to do that with the other windows version. Is this XP REALLY all that great???!

·
Registered
139 Posts
carrie640 said:
Well, THAT does suck because I DO want the AIM, but I don't want it in the startup. I was able to do that with the other windows version. Is this XP REALLY all that great???!
I have only been using XP for a month, and I do like it. But, it does seem to be kind of "dummy-proof" so that people can't get in there and screw things up. But, you know, I meet people every day that still manage to do damage to it without realy trying. I guess people who write these apps take advantage of those aspects of it.

The other thing is that it seems Microsoft has to issue three or four security patches a week! I just downloaded and installed five new ones today! Instead of thinking about their so-called innovation, they should think of securing their OS first!

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
There's an option to not tell you you're in diagnostic mode every boot, I forget exactly where, but it exists...

·
Registered
266 Posts
carrie640,

The first time you boot up your xp machine after making changes to
the "Startup" tab of the "System Configuration Utility", you will
get the dialog box you mentioned, at the bottom of such dialog box,
there's a check box that you have to check so the system doesn't
show the message the nex time.

The programs that you disabled from the "Startup" tab will NOT start,
so you don't need to uninstall them.

I know..., you will say that some programs will start at startup
no matter what you do (like the st*pid AOL systray Icon).
If that's the case, you can use third party Registry Cleaning
utilities, I recommend you RegClean. It will perform a very
powerfull cleaning of your registry and it will gie you the
chance to remove unwanted startup items/programs as well.

hope that helps.
k.u.p.
Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
carrie640,

you didn't specify what version of XP you are using.
My instructions work perfectly in win XP Pro.

let me know.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Breakerfall,

It works the same in XP Home as it does in XP Pro.

I did use Norton to clean out my MSN but it took out a componant vital to Norton update. Then I rolled things back with system restore and all is well, with no MSN! I just haven't used it to get rid of msmgs yet.

·
Registered
266 Posts
music freak.

"Messenger Service" has nothing to do with "Windows Messenger".

The "Messenger Service" is a service that runs in your computer, (activated by default, blame MS about that). To disable:

•Right click "My Computer"
•Click "manage"
•In the Computer Management Snap-In, expand "Service and Applications"
•Click "Services"
•In the list of services on the right hand side, sort the services
by "service name" and scroll down until you find "Messenger"
•Double Click "Messenger"
•From the drop-down list of "startup types" choose either
Manual or Automatic.

The "Windows Messenger" is a chat program just like the others, (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, etc)

Hope that cleared things a bit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
breakerfall said:

Hope that cleared things a bit.
Oh yeah! I disabled Microsoft Messenger two weeks ago, but I was unsure about the Messenger Service. No harm done, i'll leave it alone now.

I just wanted MSN and Messenger OFF my PC because I never use it and I understand it presents an increased security risk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

You have to remove the specific startup programs from MSCONFIG. Each program that is starting probably has its own config startup question in the program settings. You have to go to each program and "deselect start on windows startup" You might notice that there may be a couple of duplicate entries in MSCONFIG for programs. This is because when a program starts and "Start on windows startup is selected" it will make an entry.
To remove double entries, Select all. Then go to each programs settings and disable "Start on Windows startup"

You may want to visit this site http://www.wheresjames.com/

It has free stuff, look for a program called Startup monitor.
It can help control your programs startups in MSCONFIG.

Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.