Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I go about removing old startup programs in my list?
The programs have been uninstalled and the boxes unchecked but the descriptions still remain in my starup tab for MSCONFIG.
I noticed the 'Restore Starup Programs' button, but I'm not touching it unless I know what it will do first.
My crowded list of startups and I thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
registry

if you look in the startup list, next to file location executable is the registry location of this now defunct startup program/s. Start regedit in the run box and follow this registry entry as listed in the startup box and delete it manually in regedit. Be carefull, playing with or modifying the registry can cause problems, so backup the registry first. Windows uninstall is supposed to usually handle this, but not always manages to, especially if it is spyware/adware type of program.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
To add to bushido:

Other programs listed will be under Start-->Programs-->Startup.

If you are comfortable with the registry:
HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
and
HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run services
and
HKLU\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
and
HKLU\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run services

If you have disabled them with msconfig look for the above with a - in front of them.

Under programs you will have a group called "disabled startup"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked the folders in the registry and they are not showing. They aren't in either the 'RUN' or 'Run-' folders. I checked them all. Though they still list on my startup tab in msconfig as though I can check the boxes to reactivate them.
IE: msblast, spyware, toolbars, all sorts of junk that was deleted. I run Adaware, Spybot S&D, and AVG's antivirus. I also have Zone Alarm as my firewall.
The programs aren't there and my pc runs great. I was just wanting to clean up the list so it wasn't cluttered with junk that isn't there. Or is this a typical thing with XP Home?
Just curious.
:confused:

·
Registered
266 Posts
What about doing a "search" through the entire Registry using
the name of those programs that are not installed on your pc
anymore. For instance, search for msblast, since that's the
name that appears in your msconfig list. Try all of them...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just tried your suggestion. It can't find a single one of the files. Strange. My friends computer is the same way. I asked him how to get trid of them and he says his msconfig is full of uninstalled listings too.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Can I recommend a program?

RegCleaner v4.3

is a very powerfull Registry Cleaner. Using it's "Startup List" feature,
it will build up a list of all your startup items (old and/or new items)
Maybe you can delete those entries using that option.

bests

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.